Need someone like me

Hey! My name is Hannah and I am 19 years old and I just got diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes 3 months ago and I just wanted to feel that I’m not alone. Dealing with this is so hard and I have no idea how to do it. Talking to people that get it would make my day!!

Hi Hannah!

I’m not in college anymore…I’m almost 25. But I know just how you are feeling. I was diagnosed with type 1 when I was 20. I spent my entire spring break that year in the hospital – my mom and I called it “Medical City Resort”! Haha! At least we got room service!

But really, it does get easier. However, because you have more of adult-onset type-1, you do remember what it was like to be “normal”, to not have to think about how many carbs your going to eat every time you put something in your mouth, and to have those random lows.

There will also always be those people who want to try to “cure” your diabetes, who don’t think you look like a diabetic, or that you’re too young. We 're in that age range where people seem to think we’re too old to be type 1s but too young and not the right body type to be type 2s. Most people don’t understand the way type 1 works, unless they are one or have a very close relationship with one. You just have to ignore the haters. You are a Wonder Woman!

I would love to talk to someone also who was diagnosed a little later in life and just understands how hard it can be. I’m here for you and I will answer any questions that I can.

Are you on a pump or pens?

Hi! I was diagnosed when I was twelve so I don’t have the later-diagnosis experience, but I am 19 now so we may be going through some of the same things. I know when I was diagnosed it was really helpful to me to have someone who was my age but with way more diabetes experience.

It is tough, and it will be for a while, but you’ll figure it out (mostly). I promise. I’m also in college right now (2nd year!) so I can share those struggles (and they are struggles honestly nothing about it is easy unfortunately).

I would love to talk!

Maryna

Hello Hannah! I am a little bit newer diagnosed than most, having been diagnosed almost 3 1/2 years ago. I was 16 at the time (19 now if you need that math, lol), so I still fully remember what it feels like to be perfectly healthy for most of your life, and then get hit by this massive, trainwreck of a disease. I also remember those first months (and I guess it’s been almost a year for you now hasn’t it?) very vividly and can tell you all about those times. You are not alone in any of your struggles, and I know from experience that it’s hard to believe that. Also, diabetes + college = probably the hardest thing anyone can do. I have learned many things from it though and have been able to manage in some ways that I couldn’t before!

I would love to talk and get to know you better, so feel free to message me anytime you would like!!

–Leah