My Bracelet!

It's missing! I know I didn't intentionally take it off, but It is not on my wrist, and I am distraught. I love my medical bracelet. it's been through a lot with me...Tomorrow i'll send out a search party, but it could be anywhere... 

I lost mine while canoeing last summer and had to get a new one. After losing it, I started contemplating a tattoo. Haven't done it yet but I do think it may be a great idea... it's my biggest fear that I lose it at a key moment in my life.

I know I will probably get alot of grief about this but I don't wear a bracelet.  I think the tattoo idea is great actually.  But for the time being I think it's about time I get a bracelet and actually wear it.  The one thing I don't like about them is that they are kind of ugly.  I know I know it shouldn't be about fashion.  But does any one have a good recomendation for a web site that has alot of different styles to choose from.  The ones you can get from the drug store and the doc's offices are pretty much all the same and too plain for me.

I don't wear a bracelet either.  I did when I was younger - I had a bracelet and a necklace.  At this point, I figure that the fact I'm wearing an insulin pump and a CGM will probably clue them in that I'm diabetic, if I need medical help. 

Hope it turns up soon, ajax!

Actually I never thought about the fact that I wear a pump.

Hey I just realized something. (I don't mean to turn the post.) Since Brandan has a pump now, I can attach his MedicAlert tag to his pump pak or maybe just stick the card with his info on it in there. Hmm.

Sounds like it would be a good idea.  Maybe ask his doc.

I agree with the ugly comment! The bracelet I wore when I was younger was not attractive. I have a pump, but I still wear a bracelet. I found a site online where you can custom make your own bracelet, I don't remember what it was, something like Medical ID's.com  but it wasn't hard to find, thank you Google.

You can pick colors/styles/sizes and have whatever you want engraved on it. I actually ordered a child-size because I have really small wrists (and it was cheaper). It is sterling silver and looks more like a name ID bracelet. There is a small medical shield in the corner, but it has no color, so it isn't as obvious as the big red ones.  I had all my information engraved on the back, so it mostly just looks like a silver bracelet. Most people wouldn't even know it was a medical ID unless they were looking for it. You can have 3-4 lines of information, probably more if you get something bigger. I included insulin pump on one of the lines, just in case something ever happens and someone who isn't a medical professional is involved.

I've lost a few medical alert bracelets over the years (one time it got ripped off my arm as I jumped off my sailboat coming into port - plunk into the water - toy for the fishies in the sea).  At that point, I decided it was getting too expensive to replace all the time.  I now wear a bracelet that is actually meant for kids, but seeing as I'm a Type 1 diagnosed at 7, doesn't that mean I'm still a kid (despite being 50??? huh? huh? huh?).  Anyway, the place I get mine from is Rescue Me ID's.  You can get tags to put on your running shoe, back packs, pendant, where ever and they are pretty reasonable.  And they are made for wear and tear.  The owner (Rachel Kasper) has two boys who are diabetic - so she knows how to make a good product!

Hope you find your bracelet soon Ajax!

[quote user="Kim"]

I don't wear a bracelet either.  I did when I was younger - I had a bracelet and a necklace.  At this point, I figure that the fact I'm wearing an insulin pump and a CGM will probably clue them in that I'm diabetic, if I need medical help. 

[/quote]

I took an EMT class last January, and we didn't even mention pumps until I brought them up - they're not in the curriculum, so classes without T1 folks in them might not even know they exist. I also mentioned tattoos, but they weren't included in the curriculum either. 

Medical alert bracelets are usually more useful for non-medical folks so they know what to call for, and for people like police in case you get low and combative (so, in theory, they don't just arrest you...)

I wear mine because I have a latex allergy - if I end up unresponsive in a hospital, they're going to try glucose to wake me up whether they know i'm diabetic or not, but i'd rather not wake up in anaphylaxis.

Also, mine is from americanmedical-id.com. Other sites: www.creativemedicalid.com, http://www.laurenshope.com/, http://www.rescuemeids.com/, http://www.medids.com/, http://www.medicalert.org/, http://www.n-styleid.com/, http://www.stickyj.com/, http://www.jewelbasket.com/medical-alert-id-bracelets.html

There are others, also. There are so many options, everyone should be able to find something they're willing to wear. Go forth and find bracelets! 

[quote user="ajax"]

[quote user="Kim"]

[/quote]

I took an EMT class last January, and we didn't even mention pumps until I brought them up - they're not in the curriculum, so classes without T1 folks in them might not even know they exist. I also mentioned tattoos, but they weren't included in the curriculum either. 

Medical alert bracelets are usually more useful for non-medical folks so they know what to call for, and for people like police in case you get low and combative (so, in theory, they don't just arrest you...)

I wear mine because I have a latex allergy - if I end up unresponsive in a hospital, they're going to try glucose to wake me up whether they know i'm diabetic or not, but i'd rather not wake up in anaphylaxis.

[/quote]

I hope you find it soon Ajax or something to well as a temp bracelet!

I've always worn one, and will never take it off. My body actually goes into panic mode if I take it off for even a minute or two, the few times I've had to. I had the metal basic one when I was younger but on my 20th birthday, my mom bought me a silver one..and even tho it's just shinier than my last one but otherwise the same..I love it!

When I am in the hospital for whatever reason, even non-D related, they always put the info bracelet on the same arm as my medic bracelet. apparently it's so that someone not only doesn't mistake me for another patient, but also in case something happens so they are aware I have diabetes even if something happens and they don't have time to read my chart. Mine also has a hotline number and a file number on it, so a medic can get my emergency contact info and doctor info if I'm unconscious. It cost me a few extra bucks, and it costs about $10 to update it(though the info hasn't changed in about 6years) but I think it's worth it!

Maybe I just don't trust people like I should..but I just don't think most people would put 2 & 2 together. When I had the pump, only friends actually knew what it was. Other people who asked me might have heard of it but never seen one...so I just don't trust people to make that connection on their own. But that's just me. haha.

I used to have a medic alert dog tag, but I don't wear it...not a fan of jewelry. :)

Look at www.creativemedicalid.com

I have 3 bracelets form them. They are so fashionable, I don't mind wearing them at all.

I just ordered one from: http://www.stickyj.com/  they seem pretty quick (though we'll see), and have some more inexpensive and durable options. 

i actually don't wear a medicla bracelet.. had one when i  was like 9 or 10. it broke and i never bought another one. I hope you find it... Maybe it's about time i actually started wearing it again. That would be a very smart idea lol...

You will find it..

Ginny - thanks for that link - I like the kids sport straps they sell - good for me - as less chance of losing when I'm sailing - different choice for me then what I wear now (tho' I've not lost anything yet).

Riley doesnt have one right now but she is any in two places either with me or at school and every staff member knows she is type one diabetic. I am going to order her one and once she is older and going out on her own she will wear it or not leave the house lol.

[quote user="Jessica "]

Riley doesnt have one right now but she is any in two places either with me or at school and every staff member knows she is type one diabetic. I am going to order her one and once she is older and going out on her own she will wear it or not leave the house lol.

[/quote]

it might be a good idea to get her used to wearing one now so when she's older, she won't fight against it. You also never know that something isn't gonna happen, like getting put in a carpool to a field trip with a parent and her teacher forgot to let them know she's diabetic, etc. (i was raised as "better safe than sorry" about diabetes when it came to wearing a bracelet and having food when i was little). They have some great "kid-friendly" designs out there that aren't too expensive and she can pick out with you :)

I got an engraved titanium bracelet from stickyj and I love it!  It's stylish with any wear, durable, and not as confusing as my last fashionable leather cuff medical ID which people could not comprehend as a medical alert piece for some reason.  Anyway, this bracelet I have now costs more than your normal chain link bracelet, but I love the simplicity, sleekness, and modern look it has.  It's comfy too, hardly ever gets in the way.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Vpl2ZoNlwEc/S_RweA315ZI/AAAAAAAAAbM/eYWykuRTh1w/s800/MedID.jpg