My 13 month old daughter was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes

My husband and I took our daughter which is 13 months old to Childrens Hospital and we stayed for four nights. She was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and we are so overwhelmed with not knowing what to expect day to day. Never been this afraid before. We spent many days crying and wishing that we could take her place. we know we must be strong for her. We have a good support team and with God we know we can get through this. But I know it helps to talk to people who’s experiencing the same thing has us. We pray that God will guide us and help us be stronger for our precious Angel.

1 Like

Hi Leah and welcome to TypeOneNation!
I’m Abby, I’m 16 and I’ve had T1D since I was 7. I’m so glad you found this site–it’s a great place to ask questions, get advice, or just vent when things don’t go as planned.
I know you’re probably pretty scared right now; that’s totally normal. It’s easy to feel overwhelmed by all the things you have to do to manage your daughter’s condition. It might feel like it’ll never get easier, but I promise it will. After living with T1D for so long (my 9-year diaversary is this Sunday!), I’ve learned how to take care of myself and my condition has made me a more conscientious and responsible person.
That said, there’s definitely a learning curve. It sounds like you already have people in your life who are helping you–that’s awesome. Don’t be afraid to rely on them, and on the folks on this website, whenever you need support. There are people on here who have been living with T1D for more than 50 years, so there’s a wealth of information available if you ever need advice.
One super important thing to remember: don’t expect everything to fall into place instantly. You’re gonna make mistakes. There will be days when you do everything to the very best of your ability and your daughter’s blood sugar still ends up way out of range. That’s ok. Just take a deep breath, learn from your mistakes, and move on. It’ll get easier. Your daughter can live a full and amazing life with T1D–especially with the technology that’s available, her condition can be a super small part of her life and it won’t stop her from doing anything.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or just want someone to chat with! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Leah,
It is great you found this place to ask questions and get support. I am so glad your daughter received the help she needed. It can be hard to accept this challenge but God has a plan. I have been a diabetic for almost nine years and I have gained so much strength. Your daughter will too! Right now a lot of the strength will need to come from you. Pray for it.
It is going to okay. It will become easier.
Praying for your family!

My son was 17 months old when diagnosed, that is almost 10 yrs ago. We cried buckets for days but the fact is … the time soon came when we (or anyone) had to stop crying, buckle down, and get to work. It is very tiring but if we could do it, so can you - as you will soon find out ! When the kids get to the point where they can communicate it will be better. Don’t be surprised if you mistake “toddler” behavior for diabetes issues, or the other way around, as many toddler behaviors are analogous to how people with low (or high) blood sugar behave. My son received his first pump 6 WEEKS after diagnosis; don’t be afraid of the pump if your doctor suggests it. He did not start CGM until he was in kindergarten; the CGM’s are even better now than they were 5 yrs ago so don’t be afraid of them, either, if the doctor suggests it. Don’t be afraid to lean on your doctors or diabetes educators. You are going to find out that you can do way more than you think that you can in these early dark days.

My daughter was diagnosed at 14 months. She was unconscious and in DKA. We were very close to losing her. She is now 15 years old with 3 additional autoimmune diseases and other health issues (I often feel that Diabetes is easier than her other challenges). Fortunately everything, while not easy, is manageable. Diabetes is just part of who she is… she was diagnosed so young and knows nothing different. It was definitely a harder adjustment for me and her father. The technology has become so much better over the years and will a huge help to you. Not sure where you live but please feel free to reach out to my family for support. We live in NY north of NYC

Hello Leah, type 1 diabetes is difficult to control and very frustrating in the beginning stages, but it eventually becomes a familiar routine. The diabetes management becomes much easier. Both you and your daughter will have established a familiar day-to-day procedure that will work well for you.
I have been type 1 for 73 years, and I have good diabetes health. I have some mild nerve damage in my feet and legs, but there are no other diabetes related complications.
In modern times newly diagnosed type 1 children can have very long, healthy and happy lives!
Good luck to both of you.

Thank you so much for all the encouragement and support. It means so much to us to be able to talk to people who’s going through the same situation. It was very devastating at the beginning. Take Care and God Bless

1 Like

Thank you for all the support. It means so much to us to be able to talk to people who’s dealing with the same situation. God has blessed us with people like you to encourage us and to remind us that everything will be fine that God has everything under control. It was very devastating at the very beginning. Thank you so much for keeping us in your prayers and praying for you and your family also. Take Care and God Bless

Good evening thank you for sharing your story. It is inspiring to read other stories and there success. It’s been very overwhelming and my husband and I did our share of crying wishing that we could take her spot but we realized we have to be strong for her.
They are trying to find the correct dosages to keep her blood sugar where it should be.
What was she able to drink right now the only thing we are giving our daughter is milk with her meals and water through out the day/ night. Take care and God bless

Good evening thank you for sharing your story. It is inspiring to read other stories and there success. It’s been very overwhelming and my husband and I did our share of crying wishing that we could take her spot but we realized we have to be strong for her.
They are trying to find the correct dosages to keep her blood sugar where it should be.
What was he able to drink and what’s the best diet for them at this young age, right now the only thing we are giving our daughter is milk with her meals and water through out the day/ night. Take care and God bless

Hi Leah. My 70 yr old husband was diagnosed w T1D when he was 11 months old. We’re married 35 yrs and have a 25 yr old daughter. My husband has had a distinguished career. Advanced degrees from top universities. International travel. Many Friends. In other words a good and full life. Next week we are traveling to Harvard’s Joslin Diabetes Center for a gathering of those who have lived successfully w this disease for more than 50 years. Yes there are some challenging days ahead. Very challenging days. But there is much life ahead too.

Get the best medical care you can. It is not all equal and you want someone up to date of care and options. My husband has worn an insulin pump since they were first offered. We’ve always lived in college towns and my husband has benefited greatly from care at the research and teaching hospitals.

My mother in law told me stories about how overwhelmed she was in 1949 when there were just glass syringes and she had to test his urine There’s good technology available. Be a great advocate for your child.

I hope that someday you will look back at these days and be amazed at how it has worked out. Good luck. Diane.

My daughter was 5 at diagnosis. The most comfort we found was with the Dexcom continuous glucose meter. It gave us so much insights as to how her body responded to the foods she at and what her blood sugars were doing at all times. I highly recommend a CGM if you can afford it. It alarms us when she is trending low or high so we can react accordingly. It alarms us in the night, which allows us to sleep inbetween.

Prayers for your little one… and for you!

Leah, I agree with you wholeheartedly… Upon initial diagnosis of T1D for your child, there are extreme emotions that are invoked.
My son was diagnosed at 8, he is now 10. I have days I still cry, wishing I could exchange placed with him. The irony…he’s my symbol of strength! Despite an occasional expression of frustration, he is handling this thing with true strength. The one weapon you have that shall surpass all feelings of frustration is your faith. Your belief in God’s Word will give you the wisdom, comfort and strength you need to get through each day. While diabetes is a challenging disease process, it is no match for God!
Please feel free to reach out to me at my business website if you need to talk, cry or pray. Believe me when I tell you, I still have my moments…but God!
Sherida Allen (author S.B. Wilhelm)

Hi, I was diagnosed at 2 1/2 yrs old. I am now 57 and have no complications. I am married and have two full grown children (both full term pregnancies). Diabetes hasn’t stopped me from living a happy fulfilling life.

Right now, your daughter will depend on you to take care of her and her diabetes. As she gets older, she will need you to teach her to take care of herself. Doing what you are doing and getting the help you need with help her to learn in time. Keep asking questions and learn all that you can. This will enable you to help you daughter in the best way possible!

We are all here to help. Don’t be afraid to ask (or vent). No question is too big or too small.

Welcome to the chat. Sorry you have to join us, but it will be okay. I promise!

Pam

1 Like

My daughter was diagnosed at 9 months at children’s hospital as well for 5 days in the picu she was in dka and hardly breathing when she was seen we too felt the same as you did it’s hard watching your baby fight for their life and now forever half to deal with this relentless never ending rollercoaster that is diabetes.she is now 2 years old and even though it hasn’t gotten any easier I believe we have all gotten stronger because of it are babies are super heroes and were there sidekicks so just keep your head up and keep kicking diabetes butt.