Mm cgms

I have heard/read that the MM CGMS is very uncomfortable/painful and that a lot of people have issues with bleeding.  

Do any of you that use this system have similiar complaints?

Im asking because I currently have, and LOVE, a Dexcom CGMS but the insurance company absolutely refuses to pay for my sensors BUT they will pay for MM's CGMS.  

Go Figure.

So, I'm definitely considering switching to MM's system since I cannot afford the monthly cost of Dex with no insurance coverage but I'd really like to hear from some of you that have the system first.

Thank you!  :)

To be truthful it is a little bit of trial and error at first. I have only had one "major bleeder" and that took care of itself over time. It rarely happens. When it comes to being less than comfortable I have not experienced any major problems or discomfort. Just as witht the bleeder I may know at least once or twice I have had some issues.

However, I have had no major issues otherwise. The MM is fine for me. I know some people complaim about the needle and insertion and stuff, but while the size of the needle can still freak me out at times (which kills me since I have been playing with needles for 13 plus years). I have not experienced a major amount of pain. Can I say the injection is 100% painless all the time? No, but I doubt it is with the Dexcom all the time as well.

I have been on the MM CGMS now for 3 months and love it. Have had a few small bleeders but I have those with infusion sets too so it is no big deal to me. I find it very simple to use and rather small, which is nice.

I can get about 6-9 days out of one sensor. My only issue has been tape adhesion. The tape it came with IV3000 1 Hand is not the greatest. I contacted MM and they sent me their Tape Trial kit that has a bunch of samples. Found that Tegaderm seems to work with me a lot better.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I have been very happy with mine.

Lately the IV3000 has been a ^&%#. I used to get a few days out of one strip, but lately it has been peeling off quickly. I have yet to figure out why. Is there such a thing as a faulty box of this stuff? Just a weird thing that I have notice. I mean my sites have barely changed so I can't figure it out.

I just got the MM CGMS last week and went to training on Monday.  I was not trained on how to take this thing out of me.  Help!!  The idiots at Medtronic did not figure out that my 715 Paradigm pump will not work with the CGMS so I have to wait until Monday to get the 722 Paradigm pump (another $500 out the door).  So, I don't think this sensor will last until I receive the new pump so I thought I should probably take it out now.  Let me know if anyone has any tips.  The manual doesn't really help much here!

Thank you!

I shouldn't snicker ... but I may have for just a second. To remove the sensor it is pretty simple. First if you have any covering such as IV3000 or anything covering the sensor and transmitter, peel it off slowly so as not rip any thing out. Next take the transmitter (thing that looks like a clam) and remove it from the sensor. At the base where the trasnmitter and sensor meet are two clips like you are detatching an infusion set. FInally with the sensor part. Go to the tail end and lift the flap and slowly peel it up. You don't want to rip it us as it could cause some bleeding. Otherwise you should be fine.

My doctors suggested against using CGMS. I'm on the 722 and it's working really well for me without using sensors. They said there's too many complications and you end up testing pretty often to calibrate it anyway. Having said all of that, most people I've spoken to who do use MM’s CGMS seem very happy with it! If you like the Dexcom's CGMS, then I can't see a problem with using MM's CGMS.

The MM cgm can be a bit uncomfortable depending on where you inject it. I would stay in meaty parts to avoid it hurting. I have had some problems bleeding myself but, I haven't bled in a long time. If insurance pays for it I would switch. I heard Dexcom is not that accurate. The MM is much better with accuracy. I tried the Freestyle Navigator which was even more accurate than the MM but I am happy with MM.

I am looking to be getting one of these in the summer if my insurance company will pay for it! Hopefully, it will help me in the long run and get my A1C's down below 9 is my first goal then I'm going to shoot for below 8.

Thanks for the responses!

I have a trial with the MM CGMS starting on 4/24 - I'm crossing my fingers that its not too bloody or painful!  :)

[quote user="Brian"]

Lately the IV3000 has been a ^&%#. I used to get a few days out of one strip, but lately it has been peeling off quickly. I have yet to figure out why.

[/quote]

Try Tegaderm. It is what I use at the beach. I also sent for the trial pack from Minimed and tried several of the types in the pack, but Tegaderm definitely works best for me-- it stayed the stickiest the longest.

Amanda,

Thanks for the info. I need to call minimed to order supplies anyway so I will ask them for a tape sample kit so I can give it a shot. It is really odd that this is happening now, but such is life.

[quote user="Brian"]

Thanks for the info. I need to call minimed to order supplies anyway so I will ask them for a tape sample kit so I can give it a shot. It is really odd that this is happening now, but such is life.

[/quote]

Sure no problem! Hope it works for you. If you find that Tegaderm works you can order it in boxes of (I think) 100.