CGM questions! Mine just shipped

I decided a few months ago I wanted to go on a CGM because after finally reducing my lows, my A1C went up. My endo said that a CGM would help with the highs. I figured I'd give it a try. When i first went on the pump 2 years ago we tried getting a CGM but my insurance denied me. I'm on new insurance now and they approved me immediately. Sooo it finally shipped yesterday... but I don't know much about it except that it'll track my blood sugars. My endo says I'll only have to check my blood sugar 2 or 3 times a day now (is this true? never heard this)

So I have a minimed paradigm pump and I got the CGM that connects with the pump. So I'm just wondering how it all works. Is there an insertion device like with my infusion sets? Where do I place the sensor? Does it hurt? Is it annoying (as far as alarms and information)? Any info would be great!

Melissa-

I have MM too, and just got the CGM about a month ago, and I LOVE it!  Is your endo able to have a trainer come in?  If they can, I would really recommend it.  But I'll try to answer your questions.

Yes, there's an insertion device.  And I'm just going to warn you--the sensor needle is big.  Scary big.  But it hasn't really hurt so far (no more than an infusion set does).  It looks worse than it is.  I psyched myself out the first time, but it gets easier and easier each time.  And the needle comes out, like a set.  My trainer said to put the sensor in my stomach or upper butt, but I've been to chicken to try my butt.

The best advice I can give you is to BE PATIENT.  It's not going to work perfectly all the time, and there's most definitely a learning curve.  I just now feel like I've got a good handle on it.  There's a lot to remember as far as calibrating and what not, so be patient with yourself.  I've screwed up a decent bit myself.

Also, all the information can be overwhelming.  The CGM (when functioning properly) is about 20 minutes behind what your bs is, so I'm still sticking all the time.  But it's been super-helpful in identifying patterns and helping my endo tweak my basals.

Sorry for the long-winded response!  Overall, I'm happy I got the CGM (though I do tend to curse profusely at it when it's not working properly).  Good luck, and let me know if you have more questions.

[quote user="jessicola"]

Melissa-

I have MM too, and just got the CGM about a month ago, and I LOVE it!  Is your endo able to have a trainer come in?  If they can, I would really recommend it.  But I'll try to answer your questions.

Yes, there's an insertion device.  And I'm just going to warn you--the sensor needle is big.  Scary big.  But it hasn't really hurt so far (no more than an infusion set does).  It looks worse than it is.  I psyched myself out the first time, but it gets easier and easier each time.  And the needle comes out, like a set.  My trainer said to put the sensor in my stomach or upper butt, but I've been to chicken to try my butt.

The best advice I can give you is to BE PATIENT.  It's not going to work perfectly all the time, and there's most definitely a learning curve.  I just now feel like I've got a good handle on it.  There's a lot to remember as far as calibrating and what not, so be patient with yourself.  I've screwed up a decent bit myself.

Also, all the information can be overwhelming.  The CGM (when functioning properly) is about 20 minutes behind what your bs is, so I'm still sticking all the time.  But it's been super-helpful in identifying patterns and helping my endo tweak my basals.

Sorry for the long-winded response!  Overall, I'm happy I got the CGM (though I do tend to curse profusely at it when it's not working properly).  Good luck, and let me know if you have more questions.

[/quote]

Thank you for the info!

I should have my box of supplies tomorrow and my doctor is calling me back tomorrow to make an appointment. I had a trainer come in for the pump and it was really helpful so I will definitely ask for a trainer for the sensor.

I'm really excited to start! but i'm getting nervous about having something else on me. I hate having infusion sets on my stomach I usually use my sides, so I'm a little nervous about the sensor. Is it the same size as an infusion set? Overall though I'm looking forward to finally knocking down my high blood sugars! lol I think i'll end up just starring at my pump with all the numbers and the graph haha.

You said that the CGM might not always function properly... how often does it not work?

Melissa-

The sensor itself is smaller than the infusion set (I use the QuickSet) by a good bit.  The transmitter, however, is a good bit bigger than the infusion set.  However, the transmitter connects to the sensor and then you just tape the whole thing down.  It sounds uncomfortable, but hasn't really bothered me so far.  
As far as when it's off, I'd say it's pretty on target most of the time, as long as I'm really careful with calibrating.  It took a while to start being accurate though.  Also, the sensors are only FDA approved for 3 days, but my trainer said I could wear it for 6.  It tends to crap out on the 6th day sometimes.
Good luck!

I have the dexcom, not MM. But, even though I only need to calibrate 2-3 times a day, I still test more than that. It's the only way to know if a sensor got "off." I also only take insulin based on my meter's number in case the sensor isn't exact.

Good luck getting started -- I hope you like it!

I use the Dexcom CGM and had lousy results the first month. Then I found a Dexcom User's group on another site with almost 500 members. The experienced members there gave much useful advice that is not in the manual. With that advice I had very good results and began seeing my highs and lows while they were developing, so I could take action before they were really a problem. That enabled me to narrow my range and cut way down on my number of highs and lows.

My sister in law is type 1 and she used a CGM because she was having a lot of highs, and her endo wanted to see a pattern. She took tylenol a few times while using it, and it ended up affecting the readings on the CGM. You should ask if any medication will affect the readings.

[quote user="rakgyk"]

My sister in law is type 1 and she used a CGM because she was having a lot of highs, and her endo wanted to see a pattern. She took tylenol a few times while using it, and it ended up affecting the readings on the CGM. You should ask if any medication will affect the readings.

[/quote]

I *think* that's only for dexcom cgm's, not Minimed. Maybe someone with MM will jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.