Middle son dxd 9/1/2010 Youngest son dxd 12/2/2010

So...2 of my sons now have T1. What are the odds they  would have been dxd so close together? It's crazy. I'm wondering how many other parents have multiple children with T1. AND HOW DO YOU KEEP YOURSELF FROM BREAKING DOWN? <3

Hi Terri,

I imagine that must really be tough. It is hard enough with just one child. I go crazy when I worry about tomorrow. I feel okay when I just care about managing today. One of my other kids is starting to have emotional problems that were triggered by his sister's dx and being humiliated by a teacher in school. It sent him into a spiral of anxiety and depression. That is much harder to deal with than the type 1. I never thought I would say that. 

Hi Terri,

I can't imagine what you are going through. When I was told that I to had D and my little brother already had D for 8 yrs, it was very hard on my parents. They felt that it was there fault(even though as we all know it wasn't). At that time my parents looked into a support group for families of Diabetics. They started going and made it part of their lives, the meet alot of other parents that were going through the same things even though not alot of families had 2 childern at different ages with D. The support group helped mom and dad get through it without them losing themselves in our fight with Diabetes.

Have you considered looking into your local area to see if a support group is avaliable in you area? And if not it might be something to discuss with your local branch of JDRF or ADA/CDA to see if they offer these support groups or have plans of orgainzing a group. And if none of these options are still not avalible to you please remember we are all here for you and with us you can break down if that is what you need or we can just chat and hopefully be able to help you get through this time in your family's lives.

There was one member here a few months ago who had four children, and three of them were type 1. I don't remember the ages or any other details. I think the mother in that family has written a blog in our blog section, but that was a few months ago. I have also seen another family with three type 1 children on another diabetes site.

[quote user="Richard Vaughn"]

There was one member here a few months ago who had four children, and three of them were type 1.

[/quote]

Her name is Meri, here's a link to her profile.    http://juvenation.org/members/Meri/default.aspx

[quote user="orange_mms"]

Her name is Meri, here's a link to her profile.    http://juvenation.org/members/Meri/default.aspx

[/quote]

Meri is AWESOME!  She's an amazing person to talk to.  Check out her blog (The link is on her profile).  It's inspirational.

A friend of mine was diagnosed within a couple months of her sister.  They're even pretty sure it was the same illness that "triggered" the D for both of them.

I don't know if it would be "common," but I think it's not unusual.