T1 moms with T1 kiddos

Hi everyone.  I am now in my second month of "trying to concieve".  I have read some earlier posts about T1 diabetes and their children coming down with it.  This news scared the crap out of me.  I wouldn't wish this on anyone...let alone a child.  I heard that dad's with T1D have a higher chance of having a T1 child.  As bad as I want to expand my family, I feel like that would be selfish if it is a known risk that my baby could have it.  I know there are things that could go wrong that are unforseen, but if this is forseen it makes me second guess my decision.  So I am looking for mothers out there who have had pregnancies and have some experience with this statistic....

Thanks, Nicole

I haven't had any children yet but this is definitely a concern of mine too.  I would like to start thinking about having kids within the next year or two but the fact that my child may have diabetes scares me.  Both me and my husband are diabetic so the risks of our child having diabetes seem to be pretty high.  I've spoken with my husband about it and he told me that if our kids had it that we woudl get through it and that they would have two parents that know exactly what they are going through and how to deal with it.  I guess that is true but I still would hate to see my child having to deal with this disease.

Why don't you try to contact some of the parents in the parents/children with type 1 group (under the juvenation group tab). My son doesn't have T1, but maybe they can give you more information about their experiences. Keep in mind, there isn't a huge chance of passing on T1 to your kids. But, it's something to consider in making your decision. For me, I decided the chance was small, and that it is soooooooo worth it to take the chance to have my *amazing* son in my life! (:

I have 2 children and neither have t1. I still worry that one day they will develop it but i know that we will just learn to take care of it if they do. I feel so blessed to have my children and couldnt imagine life without them. I think Sarah had great advice for ya to look in the groups. Good luck to you!

This was a huge concern for me but I have been assured that the chance is so minut that there is no reason to even think about it.  This came from the diabetes educators at the hospital, my endo and the fertility/endo that I have been working with since January.  I feel that since I got basically the same answer from almost a dozen different people that I shouldn't stress over it.

This may not be the perspective you were looking for, but I am a mother of a type 1 diabetic and wouldn't change a thing. Sarah is such an amazing child and brings so much happiness into the world. And she's a super happy, talented, fun, smart, and energetic kid. The world would not be the same place without her. If I'd known when I was pregnant that she'd be type 1, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Having type 1 is a challenge, but she's so up to it. She has a 100% positive attitude, takes total responsibility for her health, and as well as she does, I fully expect her to live a long, healthy and happy life.

As a type 1 yourself, you'll just be that much better prepared for whatever comes your way.

When you have a baby, nothing is guaranteed. My daughter is involved in a theater group with about 50 other kids. Of those 50, my daughter is diabetic, a younger boy has a severe peanut allergy, an older girl has Downs Syndrome, another older girl is developmentally disabled, and a older boy has such serious auto immune disease that he's spent nearly half of the last two years in hospitals. All of these kids are special and loved, and facing incredible challenges. Of those challenges, I think Sarah's is the easiest to manage and she has the best chance of living a pretty normal life. I am thankful every day that if she had to have something, it's something managable.

Thank you guys, I will do what Sarah says and check the other forums.  I also appreciate the positive feedback and yes there are tons other diseases out there that are harder and more painful to deal with or be a parent with.  I know no mother would "take back" her decision to have a child no matter what disease they may encounter or be born with, however if there is a higher than normal chance that I could be the reason why my child has this slow torture disease....that would pain me as well.  I don't want him or her to have any more pain and depression that they may normally encounter than from just growing up.

Hi Nicole,

I have T1 and have two kids with none! They have been part of a world wide study- my daughter since the age of 6, my son since age 3. It is called TrialNET. The study requires yearly blood draws to identify possible markers that might lead to diagnosis. Ycan check it out at www.diabetestrialnet.org. This particular study looks at relatives of T1. There are other current trials on oral insulin and nutritional intervention for prevention. but all still in clinical phases. It's a great site to watch up and coming research, as is the JDRF site.

Old theory ,to my knowledge, was that a generation is sometimes skipped- not sure if that holds fast today. My maternal grandmother had T1, my mother was said to be a "carrier" and then I got it (this was in 1978...) Not sure if anyone else out there has had a similar familial pattern? I'll check out the NIH site and see if I can find anything else out....

I would not let it deter you from conceiving. My grandmother always said there would be a cure in my lifetime! We just have to keep plugging at it!

Claire O.

Nicole, there is very little need to worry. I researched the likelihood of a Type 1 parent having a Type 1 child. I am pulling these statistics from my book.

If a Type 1 mother has a child when she is 25 years old or older, there is only a 1% risk that her child will become Type 1. (I looked up your age in your profile. Lol!) If both parents are Type 1, the chance is much greater. If your child's father is not Type 1 then there is only a 1%chance of your child will become Type 1.

The children of a Type 1 father have a 6% chance of becoming Type 1. If the father was diagnosed before he was 11 years old, the risk is doubled. I was diagnosed when I was 6, so my sons had a 12% chance of becoming Type 1. My sons are mow 40 and 43 years old and they do not have diabetes. My grandchildren do not have diabetes either.   

Research has also shown that breastfeeding a baby at least 3 months decreases the risk of Type 1 diabetes.

Claire-

Thank you for the website.  This is something that my husband and I were curious about for a child that we have.  We decided to go ahead and try to concieve with the understanding that we would be a part of this trial.  It isn't about us it is about the baby and the future of what help or prevention we can do for our little one.  Thank you

Nicole

Richard-

Your statistics make me feel a lot better.  I have been stressing out about the decision.  I am going to buy your book.  I am very motivated by your health and success.  This puts my mind at some ease.  I forwarded your message to my husband and he felt better too.  Thank you so much

Nicole