It's Been Awhile... Food For Thought

Did we ever start up a weight loss contest or anything of the sort?

Also, my 23rd birthday is coming up, just wondering if anyone else feels that there are no birthdays to look forward to after 21?  I had a teacher once that said "you grow till your 20, and then your body starts dying."  I guess that rings all too true for someone dx'ed with diabetes at 20. Haha.  On a positive note my numbers have been doing real well lately.  Surprise, when you eat less, your numbers are in check.  Who would have guessed? 

Has anyone ever thought that drug companies aren't really looking for the cure?  Think about it, with diseases like ours, pharmaceutical companies make loads of $$$ every month from "treating" us.  If they find a cure, it's a one pop deal and then no more payments every month.  It's just something that I've wondered.  Feel free to weigh in with your thoughts!

Maybe we should start a new group called, "Diabetics with too much time on their hands!"

PS.  I just noticed I lost my Top 25 Contributor status, so I'm throwing this in there for one more post ;-) 

that's one reason why i don't pay attention to those "break throughs" in the media..people make WAY to much money off all the drugs people with conditions like us need to live. If we didn't need them anymore..how would the CEOs of the companies afford their multi-million dollar homes, and sending their kids to the best private schools, or those european holidays?! heaven forbid they can't afford the new porchse! haha.

i'm turning 22 in a few months..i'm more looking forward to getting cake at the office, cake at my mom's and cake with my friends. hahaha.

we should start something like that up..but i vote for AFTER the summer when people are done the backyard bbq's/beers!! haha.

[quote user="Matt Johnson"]

Did we ever start up a weight loss contest or anything of the sort?

Also, my 23rd birthday is coming up, just wondering if anyone else feels that there are no birthdays to look forward to after 21?

Has anyone ever thought that drug companies aren't really looking for the cure?  Think about it, with diseases like ours, pharmaceutical companies make loads of $$ every month from "treating" us.  If they find a cure, it's a one pop deal and then no more payments every month.  It's just something that I've wondered.  Feel free to weigh in with your thoughts!

[/quote]

I am turning 30 next month and am looking forward to it very much :)

About finding a cure...I agree with you.  I don't believe that there will be a cure any time soon because of all the money made off of Diabetes. I do not give up hope, I just don't believe it is a priority.

Hey Matt! - I think there are some you will look forward to.  I didn't think I would but I have my 40 coming up in Oct and I'm actually looking forward to it.  I've been T1 for 3/4 of my life now with no major complications and I'm proud of that fact.  All my college buddies are planning big parties and whatnot for theirs - even had a weekend of golf and a baseball game not to long ago for one.  It was a blast but I want to do something different so I'm going to do one of the JDRF rides the weekend before my b-day - almost to prove to myself that I can do it being older and having T1 this long.  My buddy called me sick (mentally) but priorities change and it's a challenge I'm looking forward to.

In regards to the drug companies - I don't pay much attention to them except for investing in them - they might as well pay me back if I/we are a big part of their business.  I don't look to them for a cure.  I look at the private research companies and universities who have large grants&donations and trials that are looking for a cure rather than treatments.   If we look to the drug manufacturers for a cure, we'll just go nuts!

i just created a "food for thought" brochure for work... but it was about alzheimer's and brain foods :o)

my birthday is the day before a major holiday in the US, and most people travel. i rarely do stuff on my actual birthday because no one is typically around. while i don't have parties or get togethers for my birthdays, i'm always happy to see i made it another year. sometimes, it's funny just to see where i was one birthday ago. sometimes things change a lot, and sometimes nothing ever happens. :o)

Whether you're T1 or not, birthdays seem to become more and more irrelevant as you "mature", especially after you start throwing parties for the rug rats :)

Mo - currently somethin' over 40-ish, with 3 kids' parties to throw every year :)

Whereas in English we say "I am fifty years old," in Spanish they say "(Yo) tengo cincuenta años," which literally mean in English "I HAVE fifty years."  The word "old" is not in the Spanish expression and you AREN'T your age... you just HAVE more years. 

There is a very well-known romantic Spanish song called "40 y 20" made famous by Jose Jose.  Here are the lyrics which you can attempt to translate if you'd like.  You can also hear and watch Jose Jose perform the song live here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPLcmUv5be0.  It's all how you choose to view it, I guess.

Mentiras, son todas mentiras,
cosas que dice la gente.
Decir que este amor es prohibido.
Que tengo 40 y tu 20.
Que yo soy otoño en tu vida
y tu eres dulce primavera.
No saben que guardo un verano
que cuando te miro, te quema.

(CORO)
Cuarenta y veinte,
cuarenta y veinte;
es el amor lo que importa y
no lo que diga la gente.
Cuarenta y veinte,
cuarenta y veinte;
toma mi mano,
camina conmigo mirando de frente.

No importa que ami no me entiendan
y que por lo bajo comenten,
que existe una gran diferencia
que tengo 40 y tu 20.
Que tengo tantas vivencias
y tu tienes tanta inocencia.
No saben que nuestro secreto,
es tu juventud y mi experiencia.

(CORO)
Cuarenta y veinte,
cuarenta y veinte;
es el amor lo que importa y
no lo que diga la gente.
Cuarenta y veinte,
cuarenta y veinte;
toma mi mano,
camina conmigo mirando de frente.

I would have to agree with Doug D about the cure, because I think the private companies and the universities are making some very promising discoveries with regards to a cure. But also I would have to agree that if we look to the drug companies for our cure we will go nuts and since so many of us have made their companies what they are, then why would they ever give that up????

Doug, I think that what your going to do for your birthday is quite different and unique and all the power to you. My Bday is Dec. 30th, and unforuntaly no one is every around or wants to celerbate with me because they are always broke. So because of this I've never had an actual Bday party or anything(my whole life!!!), but not to rain on your parade, I hope that you have a great Bday!!!

CJ

I used to feel that way about age.  I thought after 25 there was nothing to look forward to... Because 25 is when you can rent a car.. HaHa.

I about had a nervous breakdown after 26... Then suddenly for some inexplicable reason I stopped caring.  I am much happier at 30 than I ever was when I was younger...  Stay fit is all I can say!  Don't let your body break down.  Sure I have ski injuries that I got when I was 17... that I am starting to feel more now, but as long as I keep active I am happy!  You also get to know yourself much better which is very empowering.

As far as the "Cure" goes... Why on earth would they put an end to this DIABUSINESS????  I am definitely a cynic when it comes to the great hopes of this magical cure from fairyland with Care Bears and unicorns.  I hope someone proves me wrong :)

[quote user="Paul Glantzman"]

Whereas in English we say "I am fifty years old," in Spanish they say "(Yo) tengo cincuenta años," which literally mean in English "I HAVE fifty years."  The word "old" is not in the Spanish expression and you AREN'T your age... you just HAVE more years. 

[/quote]

Paul, as usual, you are a gem.  I'll have to work on that translation in the morning, after a full night's sleep :)

Mo

I had the same idea that after 21 the next "milestone" is your 50th birthday, no offense was meant towards anyone there, just my opinion. I always said 16-you're able to drive, 18- you're considered legal and 21- you can drink, legally and then what ??? Last Sept. when I turned 30 I just wanted to curl up in a ball a cry : ( I was so depressed about it, I wasn't a twenty something anymore. Now Sept. is just around the corner and just like that..I'll be 31. Man time flies !! I agree with the stay fit comment too .

I agree with the drug companies not looking for a cure thing or do they already have something close and are hiding it?? Hmmm.... Why release a cure when it is found when they'd be losing all that money. They make a killing off of us, especially the test strip industry.

Paul, I love it!  Yes, I have years!  I turned 40 in my son's hospital room with him being dx.  After that, the years seem to blend together, and yes, Mo the focus becomes the kids and their birthdays! 

I think my focus is on the researchers for a cure.  I have to wonder about the pharmaceutical companies and their interests.  I can't believe the passion for a cure would be there;  kind of a conflict of interest.