I'm going to see my endo. tomorrow

She's been my doctor for a few years now because I had Thyroid disease before I was diagnosed in February with diabetes. It's only been a little over three months, but is it a possibility to even talk about getting a pump right now?

If you are on a pump, how long after you were diagnosed did you start using the pump?

I was told the classic "wait a year".  But coming out of your honeymoon phase on an insulin pump shouldn't be any different than MDI, you are adjusting your insulin either way.  I have heard lots of people going on pumps sooner than a year.  Your dad has diabetes and is on a pump correct?  This would probably make the transition a bit easier for you.  Definitely talk to your endo about it!

Courtney,

I started pumping a year after diagnosis. I think a lot of people start  around that time. But, I know others that started right away around the same as you. I think it all depends on your doctor and if he feels you are ready to start pumping.

My endo had me wait about a year before I went on the pump. I think it all depends on the person and the ability to adapt to a new form of diabetes management.

[quote user="Heather Cole"]

I was told the classic "wait a year".  But coming out of your honeymoon phase on an insulin pump shouldn't be any different than MDI, you are adjusting your insulin either way.  I have heard lots of people going on pumps sooner than a year.  Your dad has diabetes and is on a pump correct?  This would probably make the transition a bit easier for you.  Definitely talk to your endo about it!

[/quote]

My dad is on a pump and has the same endo as I do. I think it's more likely that I'll go on a pump due to that reason.

I was diagnosed at the begininning of march and my endo is already talking about getting me on the pump. Im very excited to hopefully try the omnipod as my first pump at the beginning of the summer. I dont want to start it while still in school.

I was diagnosed the end of February.  My pump came in May 16!

I really do think it is more how your relationship with your doctor is than anything else. If you two get along and have been open and showing progress and growth it would seem more feasible. I mean the wait for a year option is probably a good one just to get acclimated and the like, but in the end if you feel you are ready, I am sure your doctor would be more willing to do it for you.

I didn't go onto a pump until I was 14 years diagnosed due to my own misconceptions, but it really is an amazing thing and I love it right now.

i have been a diabete sins sept 11,02 but have been with the same doc but he was old school not wanting to put me on the pump. I swiched docs the end of feb and the frist week of march i got the pump and have been on the pump for 4  mouths and cant swich back now.

I believe I have a good relationship with her. And considering my dad is her patient too I think that makes it a little better. It's good to see other people who were newly diagnosed who are getting pumps.

Courtney,

If your doctor aloows it, good luck and go for it. The pump made a huge difference for me. I am sure if you present it well based upon your relationship it should go well.

I think this is the only time I've ever been excited to go to the doctors!! :)

I thought I would update all of you. I talked to my endo. about a pump. She's all for it! I told her I wanted the OneTouch Ping and I knew a lot about it because I've researched all this stuff. She didn't think I would know which one I wanted already.

They are seeing if any of the diabetic teachers know anything about that pump and we've also been in the process of faxing the info to see if my insurance will cover it. Cross your fingers for me!!

I'm so excited. She said I'd probably be ready before going back to school next semester.

That's so awesome, congrats!  I am looking into insurance right now too for one!  Good luck with it!

[quote user="Heather Cole"]

That's so awesome, congrats!  I am looking into insurance right now too for one!  Good luck with it!

[/quote]

Good luck to you too!! I cannot wait. I didn't think I would be able to get a pump this soon.

Courtney,

Hi! I read this and was excited for you too! I have the One Touch Ping as well! Just got it and I LOVE it!!! I have the pink one, go figure! It does a low basal rate which is awesome if you are really active! If you have any questions, feel free to ask anytime!

Sincerely,

Alayna D. Strickland

[quote user="Alayna"]

Courtney,

Hi! I read this and was excited for you too! I have the One Touch Ping as well! Just got it and I LOVE it!!! I have the pink one, go figure! It does a low basal rate which is awesome if you are really active! If you have any questions, feel free to ask anytime!

Sincerely,

Alayna D. Strickland

[/quote]

How do you like the remote that comes with it. That's one of my main reasons for wanting that one. I will probably have a lot of questions for you if I do wind up getting that one. I cannot wait!!

The remote is AWESOME Courntey! You're going to find it very convienant. With my old pump, I had to take it off and punch everything in, but with this remote control, I don't have to. Its so helpful!

Ahh good. That's the main reason I want this pump. I can't wait to see if my insurance will cover it!

Hi Courtney,

Well I read your post and I remember how excited I was to get both my 1st and 2nd pumps(2nd one was just an upgrade of the 1st). Well if your insurance covers the pump(keeping my fingers crossed for you) it will change your life for the better.