I want to be normal again

I use to have fun at parties and now I am lame because I can't relax. I am having to check my glucose constantly and I am all over the place.  I hate it.  It is so annoying to here people question why you are drinking water.  It's not like I am wanting to drink the water, I have to.  

Also I am newly single after over 4 years and I don't know how I am suppose to start dating.  How am I suppose to go to dinner and awkwardly check my glucose and give myself a shot.  And I am getting a CGM and omnipod soon but then how do I deal with the awfulness of getting intimate with someone when I have stuff stuck all over me.  

How do you go from being like an other 26 year old to one with diabetes?! I feel so distant from everyone I know now because no one can understand any of this and I hate to be treated like I'm damaged.  

Diabetes is your new normal. I've been through all those things you've mentioned, as have many (many, many) others on this forum. It's always scary to experience these things for the first time, but you will soon get a handle on them and find ways to make diabetes part of your life. At parties, you can eat and drink. If you're concerned about alcohol, you can always try diet drinks - or if you really want a sugared drink, just remember to take insulin for it.

Checking your blood sugar and taking insulin in public doesn't have to be as scary as it sounds. As a last resort, you can always excuse yourself to the restroom, but I've personally found it much more beneficial to be honest up front. So far, no one has turned me away for having diabetes. They actually find it interesting, and ask questions, and want to know more about it. Intimacy and all, you find a way. When it comes to the heat of the moment, diabetes doesn't necessarily play a part. You are two passionate people just like everyone else.

I encourage you to check out the Adults forum and the Women Only forum - a lot of your questions on dating and intimacy are answered there.

The more you push back against diabetes, the harder it will be to mold to your lifestyle. Once you accept your diagnosis and are ready to move forward with your life again, you will find you are still the same person you always have been. :o)

Melissa - I can hear your struggles in the tone of your message.  You have a whole group of people here who understand what you are going through, many who have been exactly in that place, and others who are just here to listen.  Remember that even with Type One Diabetes - you are perfect - just the way you are.  I think you will find people (men included in the "people" comment) that find your management of this condition inspiring and will be attracted to that.  Don't be afraid to build your aura of "awesomeness"!   Drop a note here when you need support!

A thought about drinking water at parties.  Have you tried something that look like a drink?  I often have sparking water with a splash of cranberry juice and a lime.  Very few carbs and no one needs to know there isn't any vodka in it.  :)  Just a thought....

Hi Melissa,

It may be hard to believe but just about everyone is struggling with something in life. Maybe they haven't encountered their problem in life yet but they will. Maybe it is anxiety, a bad temper, a drug or drinking problem. Maybe their spouse is cheating on them. Maybe they are struggling to pay their bills. Maybe their kids are getting lousy grades. People look like the have it made but they are all struggling with something.

There are many wonderful people here that understand it and know what you are going through. You can try to make contact with others through your local JDRF and through a bunch of Facebook pages concerning diabetes.

I pretty much quit drinking a few years ago because it gave me terrible heartburn and reflux. I told people that too. You are welcome to use it as an excuse if you want. I was never much of a drinker anyway. I have some alcohol but for a while I really couldn't have any. No one cares. I don't care if they think I'm an alcoholic anyway.

I just read that 1 person in three will have some form of diabetes in their lifetime now. Of course that is mostly from type 2 but type 1 is on the rise like crazy too.

You sound like a wonderful person going through tough times. You will get stronger. Diabetes may be permanent but your tough times will not. The people here that have had it the longest seem like the happiest people of all.

You've gotten a lot of good advice.  I would just add that the feeling you have of being weird or different is all in your head.  No one else thinks diabetes is that big a deal.  

I've never had someone not want to date me because of my diabetes.  

I was married when I first got an insulin pump, so I don't know what it's like to date with one.  But frankly, if a guy is weirded out by something like that he's not that into you.  Why waste your time having sex with someone who doesn't really care abou you?  

Beer and wine affect blood sugar, but hard alcohol drinks like gin and voka don't.  My bar favorite was always a gin and tonic, which has 14g of carb.  If you have a gin and diet tonic it's 0g of carb.  I'm not advocating that you get drunk, but figure out what works for you.  If you do drink, test your blood sugar every couple of hours because you can miss a low.  

Diabetes can definitely be a pain.  But not in the ways you're worried about right now.  You will adjust.  It's going to be okay.

Thanks for the advice everyone.  It definitely helps.  I am still adjusting to it all and I feel fine about it most of the time, but on occasion I just get overwhelmed with it all and it really helps talking on here.