New Relationships

Hello everyone! I've been a T1 for 16 years now and you would think I've come to peace with it...but I haven't. I recently started dating this guy, and we can talk about everything...except me telling him I have diabetes. I'm becoming more open to people about it, but it's always hard for me to tell the people I date!!

I know I know...if someone really likes you, they wont let diabetes get in the way..But its just not that easy! Does anyone else ever feel this way, or any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

I understand where you are coming from. It is definitely hard to bring it up for the first time with new people, especially someone you are dating. Luckily for me my boyfriend knew I was diabetic before we started dating because a mutual friend had mentioned it when he was around. How do you go out to eat with him and not have him notice you testing or injecting? Or if you have a pump has he not noticed it? I found that at work that was how i ended up tell most people because they saw my pump tubing at some point. I would definitely say the earlier you tell them the better because the longer you wait the harded it will get to tell him and I would feel more awkward about it the more time went by. You could always say I dont know if you noticed that I test my BG/ take meds before we eat and then explain it to him. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice Rosemary! He asked me today if there was anything else important he should know about me and I was like darn...I need to get this over with! I told him...and he said, "thats it? you were scared to tell me that? its no big deal." Whew!!!

awww! :D ...all the very best, Chelsea!

Glad to hear that he was cool with it. I personally have never had anyone be weird about it when I told them, but you never know. So that's great!

That sounds great.  I think it is actually harder for men like myself to dicuss it with our dates (just from personal exprience)  Women about 95% (no offense to any of you) seem to run for the hills when they discover the guy their talking to or seeing has health issues. I think though it does make a good filter to see whether or not the person you interested in is worth the time and commitment.  Nothing saves time like when in your first conversation with someone your wanting to get to know better you bring up the subject of diabetes and they either start looking for exits or actually show some concern and interest.

Personally, I don't understand why someone you're seeing would 'run to the hills' if they knew you were a diabetic or whatever. I have had no problems with it in the 5 years that I've had it. I don't try to hide it...If someone, guy or girl, is going to not date you, or end up judging you because of something completely beyond your control, then they aren't worth another minute of your time.

But I've been single for over a year now, so what do I know? :P

lets see i have been single since 2004...so yeah i think i have some experience with the whole"running for the hills" part of that expression.  :P Plus i have had diabetes since i was seven (28 at the time of this post) ,,22 years now so yeah i have seen it most of my dating life....    :P

Hate to hear that some of you have relationship trouble due to diabetes.  I can relate, before marriage, my husbands best friend's mother told him not to marry me because I was diabetic and would not be able to have children.  I did not know that story for years, it finally came out and I cried many tears over that comment.  I had never met this woman...how rude and hateful was that?  It upsets me to this day.  The good news...my husband did not listen to her, we got married and I "the diabetic" gave birth to three children.  Even if I could not have had children...what is wrong with adoption?  I believe her comment came back to haunt her because her sons never married nor had any children!  When the right person comes along, they will not "run for the hills".

I've never had women "run" after telling them I had diabetes. However, I have definitely had issues with gf's getting angry at me being stubborn or angry when I had a low blood sugar level. Of course, this was before they realized and properly attributed it.

Yeah I definately feel intimidated with dating and dealing with diabetes.  Especially because I also have had issues with the blood sugar related moods, and guys taking it personally.  It can be a lot to talk to someone about too, especially the more they get to know you and vice versa.

[quote user="ginny"]

Yeah I definately feel intimidated with dating and dealing with diabetes.  Especially because I also have had issues with the blood sugar related moods, and guys taking it personally.  It can be a lot to talk to someone about too, especially the more they get to know you and vice versa.

[/quote]

My ex (while we were dating) looked up diabetes symptoms and side effects (for lack of a better word), and tried to take the time to understand why, or when my mood would alter. If I was in a pissy mood, she'd ask if I've checked my BG and then I'd check and be high/low whatever.