I am 25 and I have had D for 21 years

Hello everyone! My name is Cody, and I have had diabetes since 1990 (I can't remember my exact date of diagnosis so I guessed since the site asked me, haha). I struggled with lows during my childhood and teenage years. I had seizures from many of them. Through college I struggled with keeping my blood sugar under control. Now that I am out of college I am taking better care of myself.

I really want to learn more about the disease and meet new people that share this disease with me. It can be alienating when all of your friends don't really know what you go through on a daily basis. I also am eager to share my experiences with everyone.

I live in Huntsville, AL, and I am a transportation geek that builds green buildings for NASA.

Welcome.  Juvenation has taught me so much and been like an online version of diabetes summer camp where you get to be with people who actually understand what it's like to live with diabetes.  

I was diagnosed at age 4 too.  Am 38 now.  Think I was about 25 when I first started taking better care of my diabetes and not trying to rebel against it.  

Do you like diabetes books?  Here's a link and the ones marked highly recommended are especially good.  www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_06_b00.htm

Also, I post this YouTube video about the diabetes police a lot, but love how it captures the sense of humor you have to have as a diabetic.  (Be warned it has some off color language.)

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrm7z0owxoc]

Welcome, Cody! :)  I'm glad you've found the DOC (diabetes online community). We're here for you whenever you need us.

Welcome Cody! I have found this site to be a great help. I have had type 1 for many years and like you it was when I was in my mid 20's when I finally began to take things more seriously.  I live about 45 minutes from Huntsville. Let me know if ya need anything.

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

@jennagrant: Loved the video. I can so relate to people telling me what I can and can't have. I know they are only trying to help but it gets annoying after a while. There are folks at work that like to "watch out for me" and "take care of me" so that I don't eat anything that I shouldn't. What made you take things more seriously?

@Kim: I added you on Twitter. I hope to use that more often as a way to vent or to celebrate my diabetes accomplishments. I also just realized how corny that sounds.

@Shannon: Thanks for the offer. What made you take things more seriously?

Hello Everyone. I'm new to Juvenation. I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at the age of 2. Was diagnosed in 1990 and I've been living with it for 21 years :)

I didn't do anything special, it's mostly part of growing older.  I realized drinking too much was dumb and left me with hangovers.  Realized I should stop dating losers and hold out for a partner worth having.  Another part of getting older was I realized I'd been pretty lucky to reach that age without having diabetes complications or having killed myself with a low blood sugar.  

I figured out that the highs and lows were draining my energy.  Ignoring my diabetes just ended up hurting me.  Seemed like I was always recovering from a low or tired from being high.  However I didn't get my blood sugars in really good shape until a few years later when I got an insulin pump.  I stopped seeing my meter as a judge of what kind of diabetic I am... it's just a tool that can help me figure out if I need to take some insulin or eat a glucose tablet.  

I also became a Christian and realized very clearly that God doesn't make mistakes, we're all here for a reason.  I deserved so much more than living recklessly.  We all do.  

I'm not an advocate of super strict diabetes control.  You have to figure out what is worth it to you and you have to be sure to live a full life and not restrict yourself because of diabetes.  Over time you'll figure it out.

Take care.  -Jenna  

I don't think it sounds corny at all - I think that's how many others (including myself) use it, too. :)