Help they want me to switch to tubing

Hi, I have been a type 1 for 5 years now. I always use omnipod except for the first 3 month using shots. I recently was sick with bg in 400. I had to use a much higher basil and bolus to stay under 200 for 18 days now. Still happening just not as bad.
So my endo tells me that it’s my omnipod and want me to switch to a tube. She said it’s the short cannula that must be at fault. I do not have any issue with my skin and find it hard to believe I am having insulin absorption problems after 5 years of insulin use. She claims i have scar tissue and need a longer needle or canula.
Does anyone have any advise for me because I really do not want to switch to a tube.

Hi Dc @Dc1, a Warm Welcome to TypeOneNation!

Insulin absorption can be “a problem” at anytime. I’ve been living quite well with TypeOne for more than 60 years and I’ve had that experience a couple of times - well, many times.
The key is rotation, rotation, rotation of sites - you have many places where you can place the OmniPod so try some other part of your body. I will not contradict your endocrinologists opinion but I will add that a “tubed” pump offers more flexibility in cannula placement and does offer a variety of cannula lengths - 6mm to 17mm. A factor may be the thickness of epidermal layer.
One suggestion I will make from my experience: If you have a persistent “high” and it does NOT correct on your first or second bolus through your pump, make further bolus adjustments using a needle and syringe and inject in an area far from your pump placement. Once you are back “in-line”, resume using your pump for bolus. Additionally, insulin dosing is not static - perhaps it may be time to validate both your 24 hour basal rates, your insulin sensitivity factors and your insulin:carb ratios.

Hi Dc1,
I use Omnipod and have for yrs too. i rotate, but do have some scar tissue, despite that as TD1 for too many yrs. In scar tissue areas, I’ve personally found, alarm goes off, insulin stops being delivered, and pod needs to be replaced.

I’m a slight build, more muscular areas are not great locations for my pod. The best way is really pay attn to swapping location & placement direction. Are you placing in a fleshy area, ie not muscle?

As Denis suggests, there could be many scenarios causing your high BS. It is a good idea to ensure your basal is set correctly in the first instance, as this will of course mess everything else up in my opinion.

In different phases of your life, your bodies needs change. It could be what initially worked, now differs. Stresses can also be a huge factor in BS changes.

You could try on a relaxing day, fasting. See where your blood sugars are based purely on basal insulin delivery. I would strongly recommend you try this when you have support should your Blood go awry.

Good luck. Xx