Hello to Juvenation

Hey everybody!

First post here on juvenation.  Just the thing I needed today.  While my roommates are out tonight, I am spending the weekend home.  Being 21 and newly diabetic is hard sometimes, but I am glad there are places like this for us to communicate!

I was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes last July and it has been pretty interesting.  Lots of learning going on, and much more to come.  I have my first appointment on Friday to get started on a pump!  I'm nervous and excited!  Any suggestions on starting with pump therapy?

Glad to get to connect with you all!

Jacob

Welcome, Jacob.  I was just about the same age as you are now when I was dxed.  Looking back, nearly ten years later, it was a confusing and transitional time in life to begin with, and dealing with something like this completely out of the blue in the middle of trying to figure out who I was going to be as a grown-up was an extra challenge.  On the other hand, T1 was a reminder that nothing in our lives ever turns out the way that we - let alone anyone else - expect it to, and maybe helped me realize that I needed to go for what I wanted out of life and not be as afraid of doing the unexpected.

Good luck with the pump.  I've been on it for quite a few years, now.  Everyone's needs and experiences are different, of course, but I have found it to be a useful tool for improving my control that I was never able to achieve with injections.  In terms of convenience, it definitely has quite a few perks compared to injections, as well as a few other annoyances that you'll learn to live with.  As far as specific advice, I think if you've gotten the hang of injections - and obviously you have, as you've been dealing with this for going on a year now - you'll figure this out, too.  There's a lot to learn at once, but ask questions if you don't understand anything and don't be too freaked out the first time you get a bad infusion set or some mishap occurs with the tubing or the adhesive.  Just test often and have what you need on hand in case something appears to be going wrong (extra pump supplies, insulin, and backup syringes as a last resort).

Just wanted to tell you welcome to Juvenation :o) We're very glad you found us here. Excited to have you aboard!

Welcome to Juvenation Jacob !

welcome jacob! happy to have you here! there are a lot of pumpers around, so let us know if you have questions. do you know which pump you're getting, or are you still deciding?

again, welcome! :)

Thanks everyone!   

Jessicola - I am starting my training for my pump on Friday.  I have all my supplies from Medtronic.  I hope that was a good choice of pump.  It's hard to know what you are looking at when you don't know how to use it.  I don't really know anybody else with a pump either!  Needless to say, I'm a little nervous, but I think it will be so much better for me!

[quote user="Jacob Fjare"]

Thanks everyone!   

Jessicola - I am starting my training for my pump on Friday.  I have all my supplies from Medtronic.  I hope that was a good choice of pump.  It's hard to know what you are looking at when you don't know how to use it.  I don't really know anybody else with a pump either!  Needless to say, I'm a little nervous, but I think it will be so much better for me!

[/quote]

hey, i use medtronic too! :) i've been on a minimed (medtronic) pump since i was 14. i've had great experiences with the company! their 24-hr helpline staff are wonderful!

I actually just upgraded to the revel last week from an older model. love some of its new features! i hope all your training goes well! happy to answer any questions (or at least try)...  good luck!

Jacob,

Welcome! Where suggestions go -I have a few:

1. Be patient - learning a new way of delivering insulin, new absorption patterns and in general new skills means some steps back and forward as you learn - so be a kind teacher to yourself as you're learning...

2. Read. The two books I found most helpful going into pump therapy were: Pumping Insulin by John Walsh, Ruth Roberts Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner - ask what your trainer and/or medical support team recommend.

3. Reach out when you feel like you need more information - we're a great resource - so is your medical team and your pump manufacturer.  Obviously, treatment ideas gleaned from any source other than your endo/diabetes support team should probably be run by those people before attempting.

Nervous excitement is a good thing - I remember being really jazzed when i first made the switch a few years back. Good luck and I look forward to reading your posts as you get started down this new road!

Cheers!

A-D

[quote user="Jacob Fjare"]

[/quote]

I use Medtronic as well.  I've actually had good experiences with their product help line, as well, and they've helped me negotiate some tricky insurance situations.