Has anyone tried Apidra?

Apidra is developed by Sanofi-Aventis and is a rapid acting insulin just like novolog and humalog.  It came out recently and my doctor gave me a few vials to try out 6 months ago, I havent tried it yet though, he says that it have the same sensitivity as humalog so my carb ratios would be interchangeable.

http://products.sanofi-aventis.us/apidra/apidra.pdf

It is actually a different kind of insulin, being glulisine insulin as opposed to Lispro insulin, which is novolog and humalog.

The man thing my doctor stressed about this is that it doesn't loose it's power due to high temperatures like humalog does so it wouldn't go bad as fast in hot conditions.

Hi Greg,

I have always used Humalog (Lispro) in pumping and haven't tried Apidra.  I'm going to see if I can get a few vials to check out also.

The clinical trial which resulted in the FDA approval of Apidra was actually a comparison between the newer insulin (Apidra) and the older one (Lispro).  This is a desription of the results from this trial which I picked off an internet site.  It reports that any differences are insignificant:

The approval of Apidra(R) for pediatric use is based upon a 26-week, phase III, open-label, active control study of Apidra(R) in comparison with insulin lispro in 572 children and adolescents (4 - 17 years of age) with type 1 diabetes. Study patients received insulin glulisine or lispro 0-15 minutes premeal. These patients received concomitant treatment with insulin glargine once daily or NPH twice daily as basal insulin. The majority of the patients received insulin glargine as part of their basal-prandial regimen (69.7% and 72% in the Apidra(R) and insulin lispro treated groups, respectively).

The study compared the efficacy of Apidra® to insulin lispro in terms
of change in glycohemoglobin (HBA1c), which is the amount of sugar bound to
hemoglobin in the blood. The change in HBA1c from baseline to endpoint for
Apidra® and insulin lispro were similar. The mean HBA1c change in the
Apidra® population was +0.10% (+ or - 0.08) and +0.16% (+ or - 0.07) in
the lispro group. The difference between the two treatments for this
measure was -0.06%, or almost zero, with a 95% confidence interval of
(-0.24; 0.12). HbA1c at baseline was 8.20% (+ or - 1.05) in the glulisine
group and 8.17% (+ or - 1.02) in the lispro group, HbA1c at endpoint was
8.31% (+ or - 1.37) in the glulisine group and 8.37% (+ or - 1.32) in the
lispro group. Postprandial glycemic control, as assessed by the
self-monitored blood glucose values and blood glucose excursions, was
similar in both treatment groups at endpoint.

No noteworthy differences existed between treatment groups in the
number of study patients reporting hypoglycemia, which is the most common
adverse reaction of insulin therapy. This included hypoglycemia reported as
a serious adverse reaction, which occurred in 7.2 percent of study patients
in the glulisine group and 8.1 percent of those in the lispro group.

I think that the lower incidence of hypoglycemia with the Apidra is interesting and could be significant. What you were told about its ability to withstand higher ambient temperatures without losing potency is most definitely a plus, especially in pump use where it could be exposed to warmth all day long.

i tried apidra for a couple months about 2 years ago. i typically use humalog. i noticed no difference between the 2 insulins as far as blood sugars or hypos go (i rarely have low BG), so i switched back to humalog. supposedly (according to some of the CDEs i work with) apidra peaks quicker than humalog, which is supposed to lower your blood sugars faster after a meal. personally, i didn't see any change, but it might be different for other users.

Thanks for posting that Paul!  You too C, its good to hear it has no noticeable side effects.  I hope more people try it and respond to this thread.  Keep us posted Paul when you try it.

I tried it for like a week a year ago.  I didn't notice any difference either.  I've used Humalog and Novolog interchangeably the past few years without even thinking about it, and I probably would have no fear tossing Apidra in there if I actually had a supply of it.  To me they're all the same.

Are there any major pricing differences between it and the other 2?

My endo told me that it is better in pumps because it is better for slightly higher temperatures. I have been using it for about 8 months now and I haven't noticed any differences between it and Humalog.

I used it for about 2 years, just after I got my pump (2006). The biggest difference I saw between the Apidra and the Humalog was that the Apidra didn't make that many air bubbles in my pump during summer... No difference to my carb ratio. But it did tend too make occlusions with my pump, I'm on NovoRapid now and it hasn't made an occlusion since I started using it (8 months ago)

My son is in the middle of a clinical trial right now for apidra... he usually uses novalog.

He has experienced some lows but I think is mainly due to the diet as well.. For the clinical you only have a two choice menu. and its less than he would normally eat then NOTHING but water for 4 hours. so thats why I say the lows are from the diet rather than the insulin.

but I to have noticed the bubble comment. I have to get bubbles out of our lantus and novalog but never apidra.

Im not sure if we will change for long term or not.

I just tried apidra for the first time today after using humalog for 9 years.  My blood sugar sky rocketed after just a few hours.  I don't know if it's a bad batch of insulin (got it as a sample from my dr), if my omnipod is malfunctioning (though I haven't gotten any warning beeps) or if my basal rate has to be changed significantly with apridra.   But so far, I am not impressed.  I'll give it a few more days, but if I am still getting readings in the 300s!!!!  I will switch back to Humalog.  I've always been happy with humalog, but my doctor suggested the change because apidra can withstand higher temperatures and I am on the pump now. 

Humalog, Novolog and Apidra are all the same. Just different companies. At the mastering your diabetes program I just came from in Miami they suggested Novolog if you are in hotter climates though because  it doesn't lose its potency as fast. But, they did say if you start on one just stick with it because there is no real difference in the three.

I had a similar reaction- I tried Apidra earlier today and my blood sugar was at a steady 230-250 for most of the day.  I even overbolused for lunch but no change, which confused me since it seemed to be working a little to sort of cover lunch.  However I kept trying to correct highs, and no reaction.  About 30 minutes ago when my blood sugar started climbing more, I switched back to Humalog.  I had even increased my basal rates.  I was totally frustrated not only because it wasn't working, but also I had to pay a co-pay ($35), and was hoping to try Novolog, but can't shell out the $70 total for just trying out these insulins.

Okay - I gave Apidra a go again, this time it is working! I may even be able to use my other bolus options in the pump (the square one and all).  It really goes in and out quickly, which seems to suit me a lot better.  I think that the first time it didn't work because of the time of the month... sorry probably too much info.  Over all I have had way less crazy highs, still BS fluxes but seems like it is a quicker turn around with them, and not as drastic.

I've used Apidra for the last 18 months.  I prefer it to Novolog because (for me) it has a significantly shorter action duration (about 3.5 hours as opposed to Novolog's 4.5 - 5 hours).

[quote user="_julie_"]

I've used Apidra for the last 18 months.  I prefer it to Novolog because (for me) it has a significantly shorter action duration (about 3.5 hours as opposed to Novolog's 4.5 - 5 hours).

[/quote]

Just to clear this up, did you mean "(about 3.5 hours as opposed to Apidra's 4.5-5 hours)" ?

Hi Greg,

I mean that Apidra's effects tail off within 3.5 hours.  Novolog, on the other hand, was still working at the 4.5 to 5 hour mark - which would often send me low or make it difficult to eat again because I'd be stacking insulin.  I much,much, much prefer the shorter duration of Apidra.

I need to look into getting on some clinical trials and possibly get some free meds.  My local pharmacist has actually been pretty good about hooking me up.  The first time I got 5 flexpens of Lantus I went in and it was going to be a $90 copay but my pharmacist made it look like it was a month's supply so I'm only paying $35 every few months for Lantus and same for Novolog. 

Looks like BCBS doesn't really appreciate pumps.  I think someone pointed out they pay 20% of pump supplies which is the same for me after my $600 deductible if I choose to start.  Other crappy thing is that if I start now, my plan renews in July, and I would have to pay the $600 deductible again.  Does anyone have any more info on the "gateway" plan that was mentioned earlier in the thread?

***Oops, forgot what thread I was in... haha but the clinical trial reference was in regards to the trial someone spoke of with apidra.