Apidra Vs Humalog

I have just had to make the switch from Apidra to Humalog and I feel like I am back at square one. I expected things to go about the same with both insulins but using the same insulin to carb ratios with Humalog as I used with Apidra is not working. Adjusted a little today but still saw a huge rise about 3 hours after I ate. Anyone have experience having used both?

I switched from Humalog to Apidra. My ratios didn’t change at all, but my timing management changed a ton (that was why I switched). For me, Apidra kicks in a whole lot quicker and has much less tail. My guess would that the Humalog still has significant action left to go for you after that 3hr mark (maybe 1/4 or even 1/3 of total action), whereas your food is done digesting: hence the spike. First thing I would suggest is to try a much much longer prebolus period than you’re used to with Apidra. Careful with just raising your I:C ratio, as you may see crashes hours later and not know why, especially if you’ve eaten again since. Took me months to figure out what was going on. :frowning:

If the insulin was still acting after digestion wouldn’t I go low instead? Or is it that a unit of humalog and a unit of Apidra have the same effect just at different rates so the digestion goes faster than the humalog acts?

The second one. :slight_smile: