Hard Day at School

Hi! I am new to this site and I am still figuring out how things work. I am in 8th grade and have only had 4 days of school. I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago (it will be two years in December). I had a rough day at school today, I had to go to the nurse and check my blood sugar during 2nd hour, 3rd hour, 4th hour, then lunch, then 6th hour. I called my mom during 6th hour and asked her to come pick me up in between 6th and 7th hour as I was getting frustrated with dropping during class. I have band 7th hour, so I wasn’t missing anything important. I have gym 3rd hour, and I went to the nurse to check like I always do before I exercise, and I was 150. I tend to drop during exercise and so I had 6 grams of slow acting carbs. It poured this morning, and I found out after I ate the 6 grams that we were staying inside today, because of the wet grass. So now I have 6 uncovered carbs and I don’t know what to do. So I go back to the nurse, text my mom and she tells me to correct for the 6 carbs. But the during fourth hour I started dropping so I had to leave then and check again. Over all it was a very stressful day. :frowning: Sorry if I am complaining, I just needed to write to some other people who might understand what I’m going through. :slight_smile:

I am sorry that you had such a rough day at school. Diabetes is such a difficult tight rope to manage and it sucks when you have to think about it and adjust all the time. I wish you a better day tomorrow.

Hi Callyn @callyn.melnychuk13,

don’t worry yourself about sharing your “complaints” here, of just plain venting your frustrations. All of us here who have tried managing our ‘wonderful blessing’ of Type One get frustrated and just need an understanding person who will listen without judging. I’m in my 60th year trying to manage T1 and unexplained days like you had yesterday still upset me - but I’m learning.

Something to remember is that running laps, doing gymnastics, etc. are not the only activities that might burn carbs and cause your BGL to drop severely. Stress can affect your body glucose level - cause it to go up [the usual] or cause a drop - and yesterday the worry you had about the 6 grams of carb might have caused yours to drop. Just a thought, when you ‘corrected’, did you and the nurse calculate correctly for that time of day? Personally, I would NOT have taken any insulin for only 6 grams - but yes, our bodies all react differently.

I hope today you are back to your normal self and that you are smiling. Remember too that at this site you will find many people experienced with living with T1 who will listen to you and offer what they have learned over the years. Ask questions, offer your experiences to others and vent or complain all you want on these open forums - or, if you wish, send a PM to certain members. We are here to offer support to each other.

Thank you! @KarenCHQ!

Thank you for all of the advice @Dennis! I have learned that stress makes my BSL go up dramatically. Ever since I have started 8th grade, I have had to increase my basal rate a ton in the morning! I am pretty sure the nurse and I covered for the 6 grams correctly. I think it would have been a better idea to not correct looking back on it, but thankfully everything eventually worked out.

hi Callyn, I am 25 years old now and have had type 1 diabetes for 23 years so had to experience my whole school life coping wioth diabetes. I totally understand where your coming from and it always does feel like you have to play catch up with sugars insulin etc. It would be so much easier for a diabetic if things were the same each day lol. you are not complaining as an average day compared to people without diabetes can be a hell of a lot more stressful and sometimes you just want to give up. My advice would be to keep doing what your doing it sounds like you have good control over your diabetes and don’t let it get you down!! :slight_smile:

Callyn – what state are you in ? My stepdaughter started 8th grade and would love to have you two pen(tx) pals. she’s T1D 1 1/2 yrs now and needs another friend to help lead her in good direction with it… it might be good for both of you. let me know and good luck