Frustration

I don't complain much... but today seriously frustrated me.. I had an exam in my chem class today.. We started the exam and after I had started I realized my sugar was dropping. I was afraid to get up and ask if I could step out and eat something.. so I sat there and tried to finish my test.. the lower it got the more I had a hard time concentrating.. there came a point I was looking at my test and had no clue how to do it.. though on a couple of the questions I knew I did know how to, but I couldn't figure it out.. I ended up putting some answers I thought were decent enough down and turned it in.. I didn't fully finish my exam but I knew I had to leave.. my mom told me to email the teacher and explain what happened and I did.. I just hope she lets me retake it.. my sugars seem to pick the best times to drop... 

Telling ALL of your teachers that you are a diabetic, and MAY have to leave class to check or even inject. And you should just ask your teacher if you could retake that test again.. that's what i'd do..

I know i should tell my teachers it just gets awkward.. lol so i keep it to myself till i have to tell them.. i emailed my teacher and she said that it is ok to leave the class to get sugar.. shes letting me retake the exam tomorrow so I'm happy. she told me that she was wondering what was up and that i didn't look that good.

Good luck tomorrow....one sign I'm going low too, I just can't seem to read a straight line.  What a stressful situation! Glad you handled it the way you did.

How stressful that must have been! All I can say is that you should tell your teachers so they are aware of your situation. You are putting yourself in danger by waiting so long to treat your low. I am sure your teacher would have understood.

Katie- thanx im going to need as much luck as i can get..

Gina- i almost started crying in class because i couldnt believe it was happening.. and i was embarassed. i know i need to tell my teachers i just dont know how to say it and it not be awkward.. my teacher told me when i emailed her that it would be perfectly fine to step out and eat something..

I was diagnosed in 1945 and was a college sophomore in 1958. My teachers knew nothing about diabetes back then. (Even my doctors knew very little.) I took my first Calculus test in the fall semester, and the same thing happened to me. My vision was so blurred I could not read my test paper. I approached my teacher and he would not let me leave the room, or take the test over later that day. I failed the test, and had never failed any test before.

I became a math teacher myself later on, at the college level. I had students who were in my classes and when they had a problem on test dates I gave them make-up tests later that day, or the following day. They were allowed to test and eat in class, when needed.

On that campus, students approached the college nurse at the beginning of the year and their diabetes information was sent to all of their teachers. I hope the same thing can be done at your school.

[quote user="Tawnya"]

Gina- i almost started crying in class because i couldnt believe it was happening.. and i was embarassed. i know i need to tell my teachers i just dont know how to say it and it not be awkward.. my teacher told me when i emailed her that it would be perfectly fine to step out and eat something..

[/quote]

When I have trouble telling someone something, I think email is great! Then you can think about how you want to say it before it comes out and then just push "send"!

Maybe a group email for your teachers and get it over with?

I'm glad your teacher let you retake the test, I had the problem, only when I was taking the ACT. Now that's a test you can't retake without paying money and they won't let you get up to get your blood sugar up, well that's what I thought at least. My high school was horrible about my diabetes, they didn't let me know anything about support systems or what to do when taking tests. It turned out that a week before I graduated my mom and I found out that I could have left while i was taking the ACT, and I wouldn't be down graded, in fact I would have extra time to take the test. ......But I just love how my sugar seems to drop at all the wrong times.

Maybe for tests in the future you could also bring some glucose tabs or hard candy to treat while you take the test. We have been told if my son ever feels (or looks) low and can't treat, that we should just treat and deal with a high later (if it turned out he wasn't low). Then you wouldn't even necessarily need to leave, just pop a tab at the first sign of the low and keep taking the test.

I don't have D, but I do tend to have low Blood Pressure and can get light-headed. For the longest time, I would just try to really tough it out - usually meaning that I actually fainted - hello! Drama! Now, I just sit down or squat down - even if it looks weird. I figure people would much rather help me while I can still tell them what I need than having to help a person who just passed out. AND while it feels like you are the only student with T1D, you probably aren't and your teachers are probably familiar with it. (That doesn't always mean they are understanding unfortunately!)