Happy 69th. to me

Hi everyone, I am celebrating starting my 69 th year of being a type 1 diabetic, not celebrating my acquisition of but my success surviving. Still hanging in and enjoying life. Love my Omni Pod Pump and my DEX com CGM. Have a great day. Bye Jan

8 Likes

Congratulations and many more years to you! Awesome job Jan.

1 Like

Congratulations Jan! :raised_hands::tada::raised_hands:

[date-range from=2022-02-14 to=2022-02-14T13:30:00 timezone=“America/Los_Angeles”
Congratulations and I job well done. When I was diagnosed 47 years ago, age 15, I never imagined I had the wherewithal to survive this long. I did not take care of myself in the early years. Yet, here we are. :slight_smile: I admire you so much and you deserve the biggest kudos that life has to offer. Way to go, Janice!

1 Like

These types of posts are great encouragements to me - a youngster at just 32 years on insulin. Thanks Jan and the other person with 45 yours of sticks!

2 Likes

Congrats! And i thought I was doing well at 48 years without side effects!

Good for you! Congrats!!

1 Like

Celebrating with you! I appreciate so many of you long timers knowing it’s even possible. Thanks for the inspiration.

2 Likes

Great! I only have 66 yrs so far, so, there is hope!! I am the guy who had insulin needs almost triple, we suspect it is the vaccine, now that my booster is getting beyond 4 months, lots of lows, so, that side effect is probably decreasing, thanks goodness for Dexcom!

Wow…congrats! That is really inspiring and hopeful to me as a 49-year diabetic. As others have said, I didn’t take good care of myself for many years. I realize now in hindsight that not fully taking care of myself came from not fully accepting my condition. Fully accepting our condition is key to good maintenance. Anyhow, many more happy years to you Jan!

2 Likes

Thanks to Jan and all for sharing this great accomplishment. You are an inspiration. I’m at 23 years since diagnosis with no complications (even though my A1Cs aren’t as low as some I see here - usually I’m around 7). It gives me hope and joy to hear these tremendous success stories. Well done!

1 Like

Congratulations to you. 63 years for me and doing well.

1 Like

Congrats Janice. Right behind you at 62 years T1D.
Many of us who date back that far really were likely poorly controlled since we did not have the means to try and control it. No blood
glucose monitoring and only 1 type of insulin given in a single dose from glass syringes. Life is much improved and it continues to improve!

1 Like

I am with you Jan, Congratulations on surviving and enjoying life. I will end my 70th year of T1D this summer. I am sure that you remember sterilizing syringes and needles at home and dripping urine into a test tube and dropping the Clinitest tablet into it. The technology today is great and very helpful. It is nice to communicate with others who are still following doctors advice, paying attention to their life, and knowing the fact that we can still survive by developing habits that help us.
By the way I am considering changing from the MiniMed 670, when mine expires. Why do you like the Omni Pad so much?
Roger

1 Like

Happy? Anniversary! I am so inspired by your strength and you have given me hope! I’m “only” 52 years living with T1. Knowing there are other men and women who have survived much longer is truly inspirational. Thank you so very much!

2 Likes

Welcome to TypeOne Nation Sharon. And it;s good to hear from Richard. I hope that ya’ll continue to monitor this site. I have received a lot of great information about the continually new technology. As I asked before, I will be changing my pump from my Medtronic 670 to??? Would like some info from others who are using different pumps.
And sorry I am not “ending” my 70th year, I am “completing” my 70th year.
Roger

2 Likes

Hi Roger, After 52 years of pricking I got the omnipod and Dexcom five months ago. I feel very comfortable so far. I am still learning something new everyday.

1 Like

Not everyone needs to be below 7. My endo says I need to be at 7 to 7.5. I have been living with T1D for 69 years.
Roger

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing this, Roger. Some chatter I saw on the forum about A1Cs in the 5s and 6s made me feel a bit like I shouldn’t be proud of/satisfied with achieving my 7s again after a few years where I inched toward 8 (I credit my Dexcom and Tandem pump with the improvement). My endo has always said my 7s and 7.5s are fine. It’s great to hear that those kinds of targets have worked for you for 69 years and counting.

Kristin

Wow, @Janice, I am in awe. Congratulations! My 58 years have a new goal, now: to catch up to Janice in 11 years. Thanks for posting this!

But here’s a goal for you. When I was in my early 20s, in the late 70’s I think, my Mom enrolled me for a week at Joslin for an overhauling before the government kicked me off of her insurance plan. While a bunch of us were sitting in the lounge, an older lady who had been getting a lot of attention that week came out with her doctor and both had tennis racquets. The doctor laughed and told us that they play every year when she came in, and she usually beat him.

She was 80. That year she was celebrating her 50th year of diabetes. I didn’t do the math then (uninterested 20-something), but have since. She must have been one of the first diabetics to ever even receive insulin, and surely one of the first to receive the 50th anniversary medal - one of a very few of those early patients to even survive.

Since then, my 58 years seems so paltry, considering the benefits of medical advances that I’ve been able to take advantage of and she never saw. And yet at 80 years old she was beating her doctor at tennis!

But at your 79 years, really it isn’t that much later than her that you were diagnosed. I applaud your survival. Congratulations!!