Feeling alone

Hi, I’m Katie and I’m 14 years old. I don’t know about you but I feel alone a lot. I feel like nobody understands. I was diagnosed at 6 so I pretty much grew up with diabetes. And after all this time with it I still have those “why me” days!

Hi @kj3210,

I think we all have those days where we feel like why did this happen to me, but there are so many things in your life to look forward to. Diabetes is a pain at times, but, don’t let it hold you back from feeling like you can’t do or accomplish anything.

Diabetes can be very isolating unless, there are others in your school or town that also have T1D too. But, you aren’t alone! Take this site for instance, although we aren’t right next to you, you can access this site anytime you are feeling down and we are just a “type” away!

I am not sure where you live but, are you involved with your local JDRF chapter? They can provide you with a lot of resources, and help you to get to know others in your area who have diabetes. To find your local chapter follow this link and type in your zip code on the left hand side: Find Local Chapter for Type 1 Diabetes Support

Please don’t post your address or personal information in the forums though!

I’m 15 and I was just diagnosed with type 1 on Monday. It has been really tough dealing with stress. So much I can’t go back to school without having an anxiety attack. Any advice? Thanks

@kj3210

Hey Katie!!

Welcome to the Type One Nation! Definitely understandable what you’re feeling, I’ve been there before, a lot of us have. @Gina made some great tips up there. There are more people like you out there than you know, believe me. If you ever are feeling down and just need to vent or someone to talk to and listen to their experiences or even share yours, this is the perfect place to do it. We’re all here, just like you, for support and anyone here can help you! Definitely see if you can meet people with your local chapter in person too. I go to events with a local group here and it’s a great time, always. It can be tough to accept at times, but the reward for controlling Diabetes is like no other.

@e_sparks

Stress is not easy to cope with at all. It can also be tricky as it has adverse effects on your blood sugar. This is something I can really relate to, being in my 3rd year in University (21 years old), stress can hit at times and it’s always at the most inconvenient times! You’re really knew to the game, but you came to the right place to seek help. Does it bother you that you have it? Do you feel trapped and maybe don’t believe that you’re able to control yourself? One thing to understand is that it’s an adjustment for everyone including your family and peers. Try and be available to learn about Diabetes and you’ll see how normal of a life you can live if you control it properly. The people around you surely have faith in you. Are you worried about the risks involved? You can always message me if you want to talk it out, don’t be shy! There are many people on this forum that are willing to help you out. I’d love to know what’s making you so anxious. Looking forward to hearing from you!

If you ever need me, you can add me on Facebook. We have a Type 1 Group for teens and for other people too. I am always here for you no matter what. Stay strong girl!