Everyone has their opinion

Hey everyone,

I have been hearing a lot of controversy about the whole saying Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays..For example at work i have to say Happy Holidays now and not Merry Christmas..What are yalls views/opinions on this??

i don't really "celebrate" christmas, i think it retarded to celebrate it if you arent religious..but i don't care if someone says merry christmas. i just don't say it back.

Happy Holidays, Ho Ho Ho, Season's Greetings, and, on occasion and only if the other person is wearing a Santa hat or singing about the advent, Merry Christmas. I also like May the Solstice Be With You.

Happy Holidays makes sense since there are at least three major holidays that occur in the month of December.  I, however, celebrate none of them.  I oblige the masses by celebrating Gift Holiday.

i'm hate the "holidays" in general, but i also hate political correctness during this time of year.

It always reminds me of the American Dad episode where Stan says "Merry Christmas" to the people working at the Wal Mart equivalent in the show and they keep saying "Happy Holidays!" I think that scene ends with him pulling his gun on them. Ha

/All I want for christmas is January

I'm not religious, but I believe in Santa Claus and the spirit of Christmas and it's the best time of the year! It's OK if everybody doesn't celebrate Christmas. We can still wish them to be Merry at Christmas time, just like we say "have a nice day" any other time.

i think happy holidays is more appropriate because there are so many different reliagions out there you have no idea if someone is catholic or not. i also prfer it cuz im wiccan :P

[quote user="Jeff"]

Hey everyone,

I have been hearing a lot of controversy about the whole saying Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays..For example at work i have to say Happy Holidays now and not Merry Christmas..What are yalls views/opinions on this??

[/quote]

I feel you should say what's right for you. I return what ever greeting someone gives me.

I think it is best to be as inclusive as possible.  If you don't know what the person you are saying this to practices, then say "happy holidays". As someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas, it can be very annoying when others fail to realize Christmas is not universal.

[quote user="Trish"]

I'm not religious, but I believe in Santa Claus and the spirit of Christmas and it's the best time of the year! It's OK if everybody doesn't celebrate Christmas. We can still wish them to be Merry at Christmas time, just like we say "have a nice day" any other time.

[/quote]

I'm sorry, I don't mean this to be offensive...but can you explain WHY you believe in a fictional character like Santa Claus at the age of 26? Spirit of Christmas..giving, helping those in need, being with family etc, yes that all makes sense to believe in. I'm all for that part of Christmas..but Santa Claus? Really? Is there something about the Father Christmas story I'm missing??

[quote user="Batts"]

[quote user="Trish"]

[/quote]

I'm sorry, I don't mean this to be offensive...but can you explain WHY you believe in a fictional character like Santa Claus at the age of 26? Spirit of Christmas..giving, helping those in need, being with family etc, yes that all makes sense to believe in. I'm all for that part of Christmas..but Santa Claus? Really? Is there something about the Father Christmas story I'm missing??

[/quote]

What about the "Holiday Armadillo?" :-/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEAVDID6HwU

[quote user="Pat"]

What about the "Holiday Armadillo?" :-/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEAVDID6HwU

[/quote]

rofl oh man. best episode.

there are some "BAH HUMBUGS" on this site. man    I LOVE Christmas and I don't believe anyone should make you say something you don't want to whether you say happy holidays or merry Christmas. who cares. Christmas is just amazing any way you say it :)

[quote user="julia"]

there are some "BAH HUMBUGS" on this site. man    I LOVE Christmas and I don't believe anyone should make you say something you don't want to whether you say happy holidays or merry Christmas. who cares. Christmas is just amazing any way you say it :)

[/quote]

i don't think any of us are "bah humbugs" =P

i personally just don't celebrate the holiday because i think it makes kids spoilt(generally, not in all cases of course), it's useless in our society where a large amount of the people who "celebrate" it don't believe in jesus or god, it causes unneeded stress, reminds people of what they DON'T have, singles out the poor kids from their peers & makes them feel bad about themselves, singles out people with other religious beliefs and rarely in a good way, and generally...the whole point of christmas is lost on 90% of the world's population: be with those you love and remind us help those in need year-around, whether by volunteering, donating food and clothing or cash donations to organizations that help those people. not useless gifts that will get broken or lost, or forgotten in a few weeks; a waste of hard earned money spent on things people DON'T need.

i hardly think that makes me a "bah humbug"!

I hear ya.. and agree with the spoiled kids part but....I still love it  :) 

[quote user="Batts"]

[quote user="Trish"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm not offended, but I don't really know how to answer you either. Do you seriously think I believe in a fictional character? There was a Saint Nicholos. Santa Claus is a symbol of the spirit of Christmas. Plus, he's a star in my house because I have 2 kids that "he" can spoil.

[quote user="Trish"]

[quote user="Batts"]

[quote user="Trish"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm not offended, but I don't really know how to answer you either. Do you seriously think I believe in a fictional character? There was a Saint Nicholos. Santa Claus is a symbol of the spirit of Christmas. Plus, he's a star in my house because I have 2 kids that "he" can spoil.

[/quote]

You stated it, from what I took of it at least, as if Santa Claus and the Spirit of Christmas were two seperate things, not Santa Claus as a symbol for the Spirit of Christmas. You confused me with that, which is why I asked. Thanks for clearing that up.

And seeing as Saint Nicholas is part of the catholic religion, I don't believe in that anymore than I believe in God, so he's still a fictional character for me, regardless but I can see that being a good symbol for the "Spirit of Christmas". :)

You're right. "I believe in Santa" is just a figure of speech meaning that I believe in everything he stands for, which ultimately is the Christmas Spirit. I wonder if anybody else took me literally. :)

I personally prefer "Happy Holidays" because even though I'm not at all religious and I only celebrate Christmas out of the spirit of winter, I know that if I did not celebrate it I would feel awkward if someone said "Merry Christmas."  The problem with Christmas is that many people celebrate it religiously (as in relating to the birth of Jesus), but many others, like me, celebrate it only out of tradition and spirit. 

To be really politically correct though, I don't even think "Happy Holidays" is appropriate because Jehovah's Witnesses, and probably other religious groups, don't partake in any holidays at all.  But still, I'm planning on sticking to "Happy Holidays" or "Peace through the New Year"...

After reading all of the replies..you all do have good points. Thanks