Everyone has their opinion

In America at least "Merry Christmas" is always appropriate because it is a national holiday.

I respect everyone's beliefs, but I always say "Merry Christmas." We should all be able to say what we want to. So if someone else just wants to say 'Happy Holidays', that's fine. If I want to say 'Merry Chirstmas', then that's fine too. (=

I'm neither religious or political....I say, "F-it!"  Say what you want to say.  This is supposed to be a free country, but it's all screwy with everyone trying to control what we can and cannot say, what's politically correct or incorrect, etc.  If you say "Merry Christmas" to someone who doesn't celebrate it, they don't have to get all offended, but instead could acknowledge your holiday wishes and instead of replying back with the same greeting, they can use the more generic "happy holidays" or they can reply with the greeting they usually use, "happy hannakuh" or whatever.  All I'm saying is that the best way not to be judged is not to judge.  Anyway, isn't the spirit of the holidays love, joy, and good tidings?

[quote user="ScrappyDy"]

I'm neither religious or political....I say, "F-it!"  Say what you want to say.  This is supposed to be a free country, but it's all screwy with everyone trying to control what we can and cannot say, what's politically correct or incorrect, etc.  If you say "Merry Christmas" to someone who doesn't celebrate it, they don't have to get all offended, but instead could acknowledge your holiday wishes and instead of replying back with the same greeting, they can use the more generic "happy holidays" or they can reply with the greeting they usually use, "happy hannakuh" or whatever.  All I'm saying is that the best way not to be judged is not to judge.  Anyway, isn't the spirit of the holidays love, joy, and good tidings?

[/quote]

Amen!

Hey, I am Catholic and celebrate xmas but I wish everyone a happy holidays during this time because i don't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable.  The holidays to me is about spending time with family and friends no matter what holiday you celebrate or believe in. I no longer believe in god but I am still celebrating xmas with my family because I think that is the most important thing to celebrate no matter what religion or no religion you are.

I do not like political correctness. When someone in a store tells me Happy Holidays when I checkout I will reply Merry Christmas to them. Its such a non big deal to me for someone to be offended by it when there are so many other things that are so much more important. 

As an atheist, I celebrate Christmas by trying to be more like Jesus.  Since, religiously inclined or not, his life (along with other humanists' lives) is certainly worthy of admiration and emulation when you put the New Testament Apostles' theology aside.

I would like to wish all my Juvenation friends a Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Kwanza, Happy New Year, Martin Luther King Day, Groundhog Day, Valentine's Day, President' Day, and St. Patrick's Day.  Hope I didn't miss one!  I can't wait 'til we'll be able to wish each other a HAPPY CURE DAY!... or should I say, MERRY CURE DAY?  And that's my point.  The name we give to something so significant, so wonderful and so miraculous, really doesn't matter that much.

Side note...but is it true that the original St. Nicholaus slapped someone? I think I remember reading something about St. Nicholaus being offended and slapping the tar out of someone. Can anyone confirm this? I SWEAR I didn't change it to fit this story...if it was Wickipedia. And I am not trying to make a point, either. Just wondering about the whole St. Nicholaus slapping incident...

Way to put it ScrappyDy!!!

Crochet you just made me laugh,thanks !  So you say he slapped the tar out of someone ? HA --someone made him mad !! :0

X-mas is the hijacked pagan party from the past. LOL

The choice to use Holiday vs. Christmas is fine. I mean as was stated earlier, we have three different holiday's that show up in this season. However, when you look at the big picture, by saying Merry Christmas, i do not see it as being disrespectful to somone else's beliefs. For most people December 25th is Christmas Day. Calendar's say Christmas Day. It is just one day of the year. The phrase has always been interchangable over the years. It is now that some people take offense to the term. I myself will wish people a Merry Christmas. However, if I am told to not say Merry Christmas to "Jane" because of her beliefs I would not disrespect the spirit of Christmas to me, by forcing my own beliefs on "Jane". However, being Catholic being told at work that I could not wish a Merry Christmas to all believers and non-believers, would inhibit my own faith. I can't see the words Christmas as being offensive to most people. However, in the particular case of "Jane" I would avoid the term.

[quote user="ScrappyDy"]

[/quote]

what she said regarding free speech...as for the holidays, screw 'em