Diagnosed with T1 on Leap Day, 2016

Not so long ago, on February 29th, I found out that I had Type 1 Diabetes. It came as a shock to everyone in my family. My A1C was 15%! I had a suspicion prior my diagnosis that I may have diabetes because I was CONSTANTLY chugging down on water. I’d wake up several times in the night to pee and drink water from the bathroom sink. I also lost a lot of weight, nearly 15 pounds, for no apparent reason. I’m now taking insulin injections and limiting my carb intake.

It’s been an emotional beginning. I’m struggling to adjust. I feel alone at school. I don’t expect others to understand diabetes. Heck, before my diagnosis, I knew hardly anything about this disease! I still have a lot to learn. I guess it’s just hard to be in environments where peers and adults assume that you can eat and partake in everything-as if you don’t have diabetes. I want to know how others manage their diabetes in these kind of environments.

If you have any advice, please tell me!

Ahhhh Sunflower,

I feel for you and can relate to some of the feelings and questioning that you’ve shared. On my 15th birthday [59 years ago] I was semi-comatose because of “sugar” and because I as a virile, active 15 year old had been denying for months that anything was wrong with me; At that point, I didn’t even know diabetes existed.

My advice, be yourself, learn what you can about diabetes [I’m still learning] by using all resources possible, especially people who are willing to learn with you - try to look at what you can do and not what you can’t do or eat. Your future can be without limits. Be positive - and that isn’t always easy.

Get familiar with the many GREAT tools you have at your hand [when I was diagnosed, it took a full day when in hospital to get a blood sugar test result] and use these to your advantage. Best to learn about yourself because we are all individual - but don’t go overboard and rush into all the gadgets - choose the best doctor / endocrinologist that you can find and listen carefully to her advice

Stay in touch and feel free to ask anything - on this site there are several people each with years of experience ready and willing to listen to you and share experience.

Dear Sunflower…
I can understand what you are going through now … I was diagnosed with this lifelong companion when I was just 4 yrs… 19 yrs before :slight_smile: As I was too small to understand what diabetes is., I just did what my mom used to say to me :slight_smile:
Take it as a friendly cause that has came to keep you fit and healthy… :slight_smile:
A bit of care could make your life as before :slight_smile:
Hakuna Matata :smiley: Chill Dear :slight_smile:
As Mr.Dennis has said… there are lots of tools at your hand to make it all easy … :slight_smile: Choose the best doctor and listen to him and share your concerns :slight_smile: Its all gonna turn easy to you :slight_smile:
Always there to hear you when you need a help :slight_smile:
Stay in touch !!!

Take Care :slight_smile:

Thank you! :smiley:

Thank you! :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

Hi Sunflower!

I can somewhat relate to all of this seeing as I was diagnosed 8 months ago right before my senior year of High School. I had no clue what diabetes was back then. I mean I knew of friends who had it, but I didn’t know exactly what it was.

My best advice to you is get someone you can talk to because this is a hard thing to deal with. A good thing I decided to do was look for friends who could relate to what I was going through. I also suggest you find a really good endo because you’re gonna need to see one all your life.

If you need anything feel free to talk to me or ask me anything. There’s plenty of people with type one who would love to be your friend!

Hi Sunflower, I know how you feel about being alone at school. It is hard to deal with Type one for the first few years. I was nine when I found out is was type one. I did everything you had said on you bord and more. The one thing that I would not do is cheat and not taking your shots! It will be hard and not fun, but try to talk to your school nurse and get to know him or her. I have had it for five years now, and I am still having troble dealing with it. If you need anyone to talk to email me:)