Diabetes Camps =)

Hey y'all.......just wondered if anybody had been to a diabetes camp before?  What camp did you go to?  Would you recommend it?  What did you like or dislike about it?  Was it expensive?  Did your parents find you more responsible afterwards?  Any info you have would be awesome!!!!  Thanks!

I went to D camp when I was 10.. it was called Camp NYDA, it was expensive, I was actually sponsored by apple & eve juice through JDRF or my parents coulnt afford it.. but at that time we were very involved so i got sponsored.

I would recommend it to anyone. I remember i didnt want to go and i was so mad at my parents for sending me.. I was very attached to my mom lol. It was 3 weeks long and i agreed to stay 1 week. Well I wound up not wanting to leave! being around other diabteic kids was so amazing I can still remember so much.. and when I got home i kept in touch with some of my friends i made for a few years. It def made me more independent.. theres honestly nothing i didnt like we did sports, crafts etc all with kids and counslers with T1 what can be better for someone young. If you are considering it and can afford it def go!

I went to Clara Barton Camp in North Oxford Mass (near Worchester) from age 7 - 15, and was a CIT when I was 16. Don't know how far that would be from where you live... It's one of the older established ones, and they also have an outdoors camp and winter camps for kids w/ T1 as well as the "typical" camp thing. I first learned to do my own injection when I was 7 with a nurse there. (: I have no idea what the price is, but they do a lot of funding raising for scholarships, so it doesn't hurt to apply. It's all girls but they are affiliated with a boys camp for T1 nearby.

I'm sure wherever you go would be worth it to meet other people w/ D though!

I went to camp sweeney from 05-09. It is the most amazing place on the planet. Diabetics from as far away as london, england!! If you can't afford it, they have sponsors. campsweeney.org please check it out!

I also went to Clara Barton Camp in MA for two years.  It's fairly expensive for 12 days but for a diabetes camp, I had a lot of fun.  It was a great first experience for sleep-away camp, and afterward I felt very comfortable going to a regular camp.  I think the age limit is 15, but you can apply to be a LIT (leader in training). 

I've been to camp a few times =) all 3 in CA.
Camp DJ, Camp Hillbloom and Camp De Los Ninos

it can be quite pricy unless the camp is being sponsered which does happen, and it cuts the cost down quite a bit. Depending on your age you might beable to be a CIT which is also tons of fun! I totally recommend it!

I started going to Camp Nejeda 4 years ago and I LOVE it. Its in New Jersey. i would HIGHLY recomend it! i look foward to it every year! i don't think i have any complaints... it is the best place on earth! it's 1800 for 2 weeks ( a trip to a water park, food, all that kinda stuff included) and my mom finds i am VERY good after camp! :) here's the website http://campnejeda.org/camp.html

I went to Camp Midicha (medicha???) in mid lower penninsula Michigan.  I went in 8th and 9th grade.  Liked it a lot.  I don't know what my parents thought when I came back.  I liked that you didn't have to explain anything to anyone.  My camp was 2 weeks long.  The thing I didn't like was that cabins were arranged according to age, not grade, since I had a September birthday, I was put in with kids going into a grade lower than me. 

My husband went also to a camp also.  His camp was outside Des Moines.

[quote user="Katie"]

I also went to Clara Barton Camp in MA for two years.  It's fairly expensive for 12 days but for a diabetes camp, I had a lot of fun.  It was a great first experience for sleep-away camp, and afterward I felt very comfortable going to a regular camp.  I think the age limit is 15, but you can apply to be a LIT (leader in training). 

[/quote]

Yea Barton Camp! Are you on the Barton Alum group on Yahoo? I don't know most of the people there, but it's fun.

No I'm not, but I'll look into it :)  If I had 20-week summers then I would definitely go be a LIT there!  They have the greatest camp songs...

i went to camp Triangle D in ingleside, illinois. i loved it so so so so so much and it was like heaven on earth, in my opinon. i loved everyone in my cabin and it was such a friendly place. i felt like i could relate to anyone and there wasnt any awkward silences in my cabin. lol. its about $700 for sunday-saturday. and i think my parents think i am more responsible and i kept going low after diabetes camp, better control, no more highs. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND TRIANGLE D CAMP FOR ANYONE WHO LIVES NEAR/ IN ILLINOIS!!!!!!!!

I went to Camp Floyd Rogers in Nebraska for 2 years, and I have many, many fond memories of it.  It was the first time I'd had a chance to get to know other T1's and compare stories.  I've often thought it would be so fun and rewarding to go back as a counselor some day, but it's just never happened.