Dexcom G6 Sensor Issue

We have been having issues for the past 2 months with the Dexcom G6 sensors. Before that no issues. The tape stays on the skin fine but the plastic piece on the sensor that holds the transmitter keeps ripping on and the catheter comes out of the skin. We have had to change my 8 year old’s CGM 6 times in the past 22 days because of this issue. Is anyone else having this problem?

We have always used Skin Tac and recently started using an overlay as well but the plastic piece keeps ripping off the tape. Customer service apologizes and sends us a replacement but won’t answer why this is all of a sudden happening. Any suggestions?

Thank You!

1 Like

Hey there @rc99inc! First of all, welcome to TypeOneNation! I’m so glad you’re here. This is a great place to ask questions and get advice from folks who know what it’s like to live with T1D.
Now as for your sensor issue–I’ve actually had this problem lately too! I’m curious to hear what other folks on this forum have to say about this. I’m afraid I don’t actually have a solution to offer; it’s good that you called customer service and got a replacement, because this definitely shouldn’t be happening! Keep us posted if this issue continues with a new batch of sensors–my hope is that it’s just a few batches that have this problem and that it’ll resolve itself with the next ones.

Hi Chris,
My son has been using the Dexcom G6 for the last 7 months or so. We didn’t have any issues with the first shipment of sensor’s, but we’ve had plenty of frustrating issues with this last shipment! The first issue is the one that you mentioned, the plastic part that holds the transmitter has been seperating from the sticky pad. I wasn’t sure if it was because I’ve been taking him to the beach, and he’s been swimming a lot this summer. He hadn’t been swimming much with his early G6’s…But now, since you also had this issue, I’m thinking it’s probably a manufacturing defect.
The other new issue we’ve had is that three different sensors did not release from the pod when I pushed the button! When I called costumer service, they did ask me to send them in for research, and they did send me a replacement sensor for each.
Both issues have been very frustrating, and I find it very strange that these issues just arose with the new shipment. You’ve already done my only suggestion-make sure to call Dexcom about each issue that arises. Hopefully their quality will improve and our next shipment won’t be so frustrating!
I appreciate you posting your experience!
Danya

I find this on Amazon. It fits over the sensor and I use a patch over that. The patch has a strap that goes over the transmitter, keeping it in place. I’ve found the patches last three entire 10 days, and when I take them off the transmitter and sensor stay until I remove them.

Here’s a picture of the patch covering the shield, which in turn covers the transmitter and sensor. The patches are available in a variety of colors.