Cost of insulin

Is JDRF doing anything to help with the cost of insulin?? At least advocating for us in Washington? Two years ago my husband paid $80.00 for his Humalog pen and he now has to pay almost $500.00! He takes two kinds of insulins and our cost every 6-8 weeks is $700+! Who can afford this?? He is type 1, has been for over 40 years. NEVER have we had to worry about being able to pay for his insulin. THIS IS RIDICULOUS! We checked into mail order, but it is not recommended due to insulin needing to keep cool. I will join JDRF and go to DC if necessary. Are they even questioning this? We don’t quite fit the “poor” category, just over, so help for the “poor” doesn’t help us.

I agree about the costs. To my knowledge, there hasn’t been any movement from JDRF on this front - I think their primary focus is on research, prevention/cure, and technology.

I’m so sorry that you are dealing with this. What type of insulin does he use? Has he considered switching brands or contacting the manufacturer to see if help is available?

Take a look, also, at the information at this link: http://jdrf.org/wp-content/docs/JDRF_Newly_Diagnosed_Toolkit.pdf. Page 9 gives some phone numbers of organizations that might be able to help with the costs.

I hear you - I just don’t know what “washington” could do to help except subsidize insulin, and then what to do with all of the other medicine dependent diseases? do they subsidize all medicine, and how to fund that… taxes?? force manufacturers to make it free? what about insurance? this is a complicated economy.

I have had doomsday thoughts because I am currently employed and am currently enrolled with excellent insurance so my humalog is affordable to me. My option? I would probably switch to Humulin R, and in a year or so, to a generic glargine insulin when it becomes available. this combo might be very much cheaper than Humalog.

also, mail order is fine I have been receiving insulin through the mail for the last 10 years.

sorry I can’t be of any real help. I hope you can figure this out.

Ok I was about to post about the same thing! We have an employer group plan and it is terrible. Because of changing jobs and then the current employer switching insurance companies mid year, we’ve paid almost $20,000 out of pocket in a year to these high deductible plans.

We don’t meet any financial requirements for government aid but if this goes on we’ll eventually be bankrupt. To be clear, I am speaking of all diabetes supplies, insulin, etc and minimal medical costs of other family members.

I don’t know that subsidization is realistic but it’s a complicated system and I feel like I’m missing something. We have minimum 12 years left of this and are already selling our house to streamline. I am so thankful that we have any resources to pay for our daughters care but I’m nervous about falling into a deep dark money hole.

Around mail order, our insurance plans require long-term medications to be handled through a mail-order pharmacy. Ours is currently CVS Caremark. Our daughter’s insulin comes packed in little coolers with ice packs, and is shipped overnight typically from the pharmacy.

Can you clarify something. Are you saying you are paying $500 for ONE Humalog pen? Is that through your insurance? If that’s the case something is incredibly wrong. A box of 5 pens without insurance is less than $500. You should really check into this further with your insurance.

I am not sure what state you live in but my 14 y/o daughter is a T1D since age 3 1/2. We live in Pennsylvania and T1D is considered a disability and she qualifies for Medicaid through the state. I carry primary insurance for her through my employer and any costs not covered by my insurance is then billed to the Medicaid as a secondary insurance. Might be something you would want to look into.