Can't afford insulin for my son

I was wondering if anyone knew of any organizations that help with cost of insulin?

My 7 yr old son is currently uninsured. He no longer qualifies for a Medical card, we aren’t able to sign up for insurance through my husbands work until January/February, and after looking at available plans in the open marketplace they’re costly and still have very high co-pays. I"ve checked mfg programs, etc with no luck. His endo has given us samples for the past 2 mths but I don’t know how long they can continue.

He is using Novolog and Levemere.

Does anyone know of an organization that could help? We have enough for about 2 more weeks.

Thank you all so much!

Oh Summer, I feel for you, your son and your entire family. I have been there,

Lilly Diabetes has assistance programs, the link: http://www.lillytruassist.com/

Also, on the Novo Nordisk site they had this link for assistance: https://scbn.org/

Also, if you ask your pharmacist, I imagine that s/he could offer assistance. I believe that Walgreens has a program to help.

@SummerH along with @Dennis advice, you can also get the endo to come up with a temporary strategy using lower cost insulin such as “regular” and NPH. Humulin R is 1/5 the price of analog lispro (Humalog or Novolog).

these insulins need to be adjusted, such as R takes a little longer to work then the Novolog you are currently using, but they do work and can get you over this tough spot. I am sure @Dennis will also attest: these older formulations have kept me alive for decades before the newer insulin formulations came out. good luck.

Facebook has a group it’s called type 1 diabetic’s pay it forward. You can post what you need and I believe whoever has extra supplies will send it for free, however you will have to pay postage. Hope this helps.
Ingrid

Hi, I am wondering what state you are in because some programs vary state by state.

It’s not really a program. It’s just a group of people who have extra supplies and they are “paying it forward” for people who are in need. If you have Facebook you can go on and list what you need. You just pay mailing costs from the person who is mailing it to you. I have not personally used the site. I came across it from a support group’s page that I am a part of. I live in Mass. The page is type 1 diabetic’s pay it forward. hope it works out for you!

I recently switched my daughter over to a pump and have a brand new unopened vial of Lantus I could send you. Let me know if you are interested.

You might double check with his dad’s employer. If something has happened to cause your son to be uninsured after having been insured that is a “life event” allowing mid year sign up for plans - an exception to having to wait for Normal open enrollment periods

Thank you all for the advice. A few of the suggested resources I’ve tried, but not all.

T1Daddy, that would be fantastic, thank you so much!