CGM adhesive alternatives

We were recommended the Simpatch by another family to help keep my son’s dexcom on longer. He is EXTREMELY allergic to this dressing and I was hoping someone might know of anything else that might be an alternative.

Following. All of a sudden I am becoming very irritated where my sensor attaches, forming blisters and very, very itchy. Not sure what to do.

@Nancyruns we are going to try and use a skin prep prior to placing the adhesive the next time and see if it works. This would help make a barrier between the dressing and the skin. I will let you know if it works and give the name of the skin ore we used.

We use Simpatch for both of our kids, and so far, we haven’t had any issues with reactions to the adhesive. We use Skin-Prep on their skin before putting on the new sensors. We also use Uni-Solve to help dissolve the adhesive when taking it off. We get them from Amazon, but you may be able to find them other places too.

https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Nephew-Skin-Prep-Protection-Dressing/dp/B000S9KLSY/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1528297926&sr=8-5&keywords=skin+prep

https://www.amazon.com/Uni-Solve-Adhesive-Remover-Wipes/dp/B00M3IKRFU/ref=sr_1_3_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1528298212&sr=1-3&keywords=unisolve

We haven’t personally tried it, but I’ve also heard good things about SkinTac. It comes in wipe form or bottle with applicator.

https://www.amazon.com/Skin-TacTM-Adhesive-Barrier-Wipes-count/dp/B002NSCHY4/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1528298336&sr=1-1&keywords=skintac

Thanks Katie5. I appreciate it!! My pump is even start to do the same thing. UGH!!!

@Nancyruns

We found a solution to our sons adhesive issues and I hope it will work for you. We use topical spray Benadryl and spray it on and let dry before we put the adhesive in and it worked AMAZING. Absolutely no reaction when he previously, with the same dressing, had a burn like horrible skin reaction. I hope this helps!

What a great idea!!! I’m going to try it!! Thank you for letting me know! I’ll let you know if it works for me!

I have had issues with the FreeStyle Libre sensors falling off the back of my arm while playing golf for example, or when reaching deep into a cabinet or into the tub of the washing machine. I like the Libre, but when they fall off after 2 or 3 days they are very expensive. Since those incidences, I started using the Skin Tac wipes before applying a new sensor. Have not had a problem ever since, but need to really work at getting them off after the sensor cycle. I could not find any local pharmacies that carried Skin Tac (checked Walgreens, CVS, Walmart, King Soopers, etc.) so i ordered it off of Amazon.

I use the Medtronic 670G system and just all of a sudden developed an allergy to both my port and sensor. I was using everything they gave me, but it wasn’t working. I finally told my doctor about it and he said to put a Tagaderm film between the port or sensor and my skin. Also, he said to use Fluticasone nose spray on your skin before you put the tagaderm on so your skin will be protected from any allergies. I tried that and I couldn’t believe the difference. No allergies. I use the 1626W Tagaderm film between my skin and the port & sensor. Just go to Google and put in 1626W in the search field and pick the one with the lowest price. You won’t believe the difference!