Bowersox or Bret Michaels: Which Would Be A Bigger Boost to Diabetes Awareness If They Win?

We ran an article about Bret Michaels still planning on attending the season finale of The Celebrity Apprentice on Sunday night despite his recent stroke. Here's the article: Despite Stroke, Bret Michaels Plans to Attend Celebrity Apprentice Finale

Bret Michaels has been living with Type 1 diabetes for a long time and is competing to win money for the American Diabetes Association. However, Crystal Bowersox is an up and coming star on American Idol and is relevant to a whole new generation. Both could win or both could lose.

Who do you think would give a bigger boost to diabetes awareness if they win?

Personally, I think Bret Michael's is USELESS if not HORRIBLE when it comes to bringing awareness of T1 or Diabetes at all. Anyone that says they AIM to be high for sex cuz it makes it better...is a moron and I'm ashamed to share this disease in common with him.

I haven't heard anything about Crystal Bowersox, other than suffering DKA..which under the Idol schedule I'm not too surprised something went wrong, that would lead me to believe she is the wrong choice to bring awareness.

I think based on what I know of each of them...Bret Michaels shouldn't be allowed to talk and Crystal Bowersox is by far the better option of the two.

Definitely going to have to agree with everything Batts said.  Best person raising awareness by far is Nick Jonas.  Love him for all he does for T1 awareness, even though his music is not my favorite.

haha. I don't think Nick Jonas was an option ;o)

from what i heard (because i don't watch much TV), bowersox admitted she was not a good role model for diabetics after it came out she in the hospital with DKA. she said she struggled with it and had a hard time controlling it. (i'm completely paraphrasing from what i think i remember hearing...)

if anything, i have more respect for her admitting to her struggles than trying to brush it off and just saying "whoops." so, i would pick her. assuming, the things i just paraphrased are true and i didn't completely fabricate them... :op

the diabetic should have won!

but because she was in the top 2 she will still more than likely get a record deal and still be famous. look at clay aiken!

Exactly.  She's going to do just fine - she has a better chance of doing well in 2nd place then Cute Puppy Dog Man did.  Wait, I mean Lee.

The funny thing is that according to an old PR maxim, ANY publicity is good publicity. Bret may not be a great poster child for diabetes but awareness is raised none the less. My daughter asked me an interesting question after he won (which I blogged about on daddybetes) - Did Bret win BECAUSE of all his health issues? What do YOU guys all think?

[quote user="Kim"]

Exactly.  She's going to do just fine - she has a better chance of doing well in 2nd place then Cute Puppy Dog Man did.  Wait, I mean Lee.

[/quote]

Haha. I say the same thing about Lee! I said he looks like a sad puppy, kinda like a basset hound. I mean it in a good way. :) I like him and Crystal. It's the first time in a  few seasons that somebody who deserved it won. They both deserved it. Over all though, it's the worst top 10 ever.

I agree with Batts - I think BOwesox is the better choice but like most on American idol - the runner up is never heard from again usually. THis was also Idol's lowest rated year ever so I don't think much will develop from Bowersox.

[quote user="Keith"]

I agree with Batts - I think BOwesox is the better choice but like most on American idol - the runner up is never heard from again usually. THis was also Idol's lowest rated year ever so I don't think much will develop from Bowersox.

[/quote]

Actually, it seems that the runner-ups do better. Adan Lambert, Daughtry, Clay Aiken, Kelly Pickler, none of them won, but they are heard from more than the winners.

[quote user="Trish"]

[quote user="Keith"]

[/quote]

Actually, it seems that the runner-ups do better. Adan Lambert, Daughtry, Clay Aiken, Kelly Pickler, none of them won, but they are heard from more than the winners.

[/quote]

wasn't this the last season of american idol?

...i'm hoping it is. i'm getting sick of these reality tv shows that go past two seasons..really..do we need them? i only watch the parking wars and when i wanna feel better about myself.... 19 kids & counting. the rest are soooooooo dull after the first season(if the first season is even worth watching..which usually it's not haha).

It's not the last season, but I'm not watching it anymore. With the exception of the 2 finalists, this season lacked talent. I'm over it.

I like America's Next Model and Project Runway.  I'll watch those season after season, even though it's oh-so-much drama. It's my guilty pleasure. ;)

I'd go for Bowersox or whatever. There should be a sing off between her and Bret Michaels.

They should both have to do an off-genre song...Lady Gaga for Michaels and Slipknot for Bowersox. :)

I think they are both a boost for diabetes.  We all go through our ups and downs with this disease.  We are no better than they and they are no better than us.  Since they've both been in the media it brings the issue back into peoples minds.  To be honest where I live I don't hear too much about promoting awarness about T1.  I hear alot about other organizations more, not saying that JDRF is more important.  But I hear about Autism and Breast Cancer all year long but I only hear about JDRF when the walk is coming up or it's diabetes awarness month.  What about the rest of the year?

Here is the article from the Diabetes Health magazine about Brett Michaels and his win and struggles on the Apprentice show.

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2010/05/28/6701/brett-michaels---type-1-diabetes-patient-and-celebrity-apprentice-winner-/