Follow Up / Bret Michaels

Folks, here's a quick follow up to our discussion from last week about Bret Michael's daughter and the show the Apprentice. Check it out: Bret Michaels Cheats Death, Survives an Emotional Week on TV

OTHER HEADLINES FROM DIABETES NEWS HOUND

Diabetes No Roadblock for Indy Car Racer

Discovery Opens the Door to Help with Diabetics’ Slow-Healing Wounds

I feel for him about his daughter having Type 1 ,and I appeciate all he does for ADA ,but I can not understand how such a painful time as this is made part of a tv show ?? What am I missing here-how does this little girl feel or how will she feel years down the road that at this tramatic time in her life someone made a buck off it...sorry ,I am a mom and I don't get this....

[quote user="meme"]

I feel for him about his daughter having Type 1 ,and I appeciate all he does for ADA ,but I can not understand how such a painful time as this is made part of a tv show ?? What am I missing here-how does this little girl feel or how will she feel years down the road that at this tramatic time in her life someone made a buck off it...sorry ,I am a mom and I don't get this....

[/quote]

because her dad has it and she's an adult at diagnosis, it may not be as traumatic for her. she has a little experience with it already so she knows what to expect and how to treat it. while it might be tough for her, as in grieving for her old life, it might not be the traumatic experience it is for anyone else who does not know anyone with t1d. i'm sure they also had to get her permission before they were allowed to air her phone call and medical diagnosis because medical records are private.

just a thought.

hi C ,I thought Diabetesnewshound's last post said she was 9 yrs. old..I don't follow the show and if she is an adult then that changes things..still think something is not right about this. Maybe  they will raise awareness and that is good..

maybe she is only 9 years old. i don't know - i don't watch TV or click on links... :o) but they would still have to have her/her guardian's permission. 

She's 9 - Bret is her father, so I assume that is enough permission. As for the exploitation angle, I don't fully agree. It happened while he was on the show -- the cameras are always rolling and while it was a part of the show, I didnt get the sense that the show or that Bret were exploiting the girl. After all, he lives with the disease and is trying to raise money and awareness -- i just wish he would stop saying the chances of an adult with type 1 passing the disease to their children is 50% because its just not true.

DiabetesNewsHound,those cameras are rolling but reality tv is not all reality ..from what I have heard they do retakes and some Celebs have made it clear there are some things off limits.I am not saying this should not be shared.I think it would be wonderful if they  could raise awareness together later.But children have rights too and  when my daughter at age 12 got type 1-our world shook.I think there is an adjustment time needed and she deseves the right to tell her friends on her time..not reality tv where the world tells her they know she has diabetes.

I just feel bad for her. I guess him too tho he doesnt take care of himself as well as he could.

me too Jessica..

Because the show was filmed a couple of months ago, hopefully she had some time to adjust and tell her friends before it aired on tv!