Apparel Needs

Hey y’all! My name is Bre,

I am working towards my Associate’s degree in Fashion Merchandising online through SNHU. My major project in my course is to create a fabric story for a specific end-use. I am working on creating a Target Market right now and my goal end product is Type One Diabetic friendly apparel. I’m researching and hoping to find what is of the most need at this point.
I’m researching and hoping to find what is of the most need at this point.

What type of apparel adjustments?
Specializations?
Which Apparel do you struggle with most?
Do you use a CGM, Insulin Pump, Injections?
ECT

I’d LOVE some insight from you, your co-workers, family, friends who have Type One or are close to those with Type One. PS-I’ve been Type One for 15 years myself :yellow_heart:

Way cool @t1dbre! Wishing you the best in your studies. I use TSLIM with Dexcom G6 so my pump is my CGM receiver. I typically display my pump proudly on my waistband but often tuck it in my pocket. Pockets for women’s clothing are not as deep as men’s (from what I’m told) and sometimes mine slips out as I’m sitting. Sweat pants and those are the worst - it’s much easier for it to slip out of those.
I don’t wear dresses much but when I do (am I sounding like that TV commercial😊?) I tuck it in my cleavage. That works fine with regular bras but I have some comfort/sport bras that aren’t form fitting and - gulp! - my pump has slipped right out. Trying to fix that discretely is a comedy of errors! Maybe a bra of that type with a pocket for your pump would be helpful. Apologies if anyone is bothered by the photo - it’s for research purposes. Also - and granted this may not be widespread enough to put in place - if you have a dress with pockets it would be nice to have a skit you could run your tubing through as an alternative to cleavage.

Hi Bre, Your project addresses a much needed area. I’m a male. Have T1 & have used insulin pumps for 16 yrs. I carry pump in front pants pocket. I have made adaptations over the years to try & keep infusion line concealed.
Off the rack pants & jeans which work best are Haggar Flex waist. The point of expandable waist is directly above front pockets. The infusion line to the insulin port on my stomach can be put through that expansion point in waist band then underneath my shirt.
A. Pump in pocket
B. Thread infusion line from pocket through point of expansion in waist band.
C. Take line connector under shirt to port.
D. Tuck in shirt. Works great with types of shirts that do not get tucked into pants.
Yes, coming over waist band at top there is tiny portion of line that is visible. You would however have to be looking for it to notice it.
I’ve never had problem with pinching infusion line.

I have often wished that I could sew a button hole into any pocket of slacks, jeans even dress pants that did not have flex waist. I would put connector on infusion line through button hole & pull infusion line up to port as described above.

For a non-sewer like myself I have wished for iron on button holes. Most problematic part of that would be the user opening fabric beneath iron on button hole.

Thank you for your feedback, suggestions, and support in my research! I hope to use it to further my project in a way that could benefit us all in the future :slight_smile:

Bre

Much success in your studies and your career! One other thing I came up with - sleepwear with a place for your gear. I place mine next to me and have to feel around for the tubing if I get up in the middle of the night. A pocket or pouch would be nice, especially if it were sheer enough to see through so you wouldn’t have to remove it if you get an alert.

1 Like

I think this is so great! Some of these things others have said but I’ll say them again-
-Pockets that your pump will fit in and not fall out of
-some way to wear the pump when you are wearing dresses
Let us know when you launch your brand!! :blush: