Advice please: cannula for Animas pump does not stay inserted in site for 3 days

Hello,

I'm relatively new to Juvenation - (been on this website for several days now).....and I am also relatively new to using the insulin pump - the Animas ping. I've been on the ping since July - and every time I inject a new cannula in - no matter how much I try to ensure it is securely inject in - it never sticks on and stays in for the 3 full days before I have to change the site again....it only stays in for about 1 or 1 1/2 days, then falls out of my stomach - forcing me to have to change the site again with another inset. This is a huge waste of time and I'm afraid in the future - cost - for me because the insets are precious - and i can only bill my health insurance every 3 months to get more supplies - so every time I am worried I will run out of insets before my insurance will cover this and I will have to pay for the supplies out of pockets and they are incredibly expensive.....

Please let me know if anyone else is having this issue or advice on what to do to resolve this. I use the shortest needle and it is the straight inset.

Thanks!

I use a different type of pump but had a few general things to try:

Do you use the skin prep pads?  They really help the adhesive stick to skin.  

Some people also use medical tape around the site, especially if you swim or take baths.

You really should check in with a diabetes educator or doctor and see if they can recommend a better set.  Different ones work for different body types and locations.  

You should also call whichever company provides your infusion sets.  You may have gotten a bad box of supplies and they should be willing to send you a replacement.

Once you find a solution, let us know.  -Jenna

Is it that the cannula itself is popping out or that the adhesive loses its stickiness?

If it's a cannula issue, Animas makes 2 types of infusion sets - Inset and Inset 30. If you don't have as much body fat, the Inset 30 might be a better choice since it goes in at an angle and has a longer cannula.

If the adhesive isn't sticking, you can do a couple things. Make sure you're applying it to clean, dry skin. Try to avoid changing your site right before you take a shower or workout in order to give the site the best chance of sticking on. If you notice the edges starting to come up, my diabetes educator recommended either medical tape or liquid band-aid.

I hope that helps!

-Christina

Hi Christina,

Thank you so much for the reply! I should probably explore the inset 30 bc I don't have a lot of body fat and I'm not on the inset that goes in on an angle so that would probably help! Additionally, i do see that the sticky part of the tape edges start to come up - so the advice of a medical tape or liquid band-aid to help with this is something I am definitely going to look into - thank you SO much!!!!

I am finding this forum extremely helpful because who else would be able to answer my questions about diabetes so efficiently than another type 1 diabetic going through the same thing!!! :)

Thank you!

Hi Jenna,

Thanks so much - your answer was extremely helpful - I actually don't use the skin prep pads - my diabetes educator when training me about the pump didn't go into that at all so I wasn't aware of them. The medical tape idea sounds great - just as mentioned by Christina below as well - I can use the medical tape or the liquid band aid. I am definitely going to look into that and perhaps the inset 30 since that seems to be for people with less body fat - which fits my criteria - since the cannula is longer and at an angle.

Thanks Jenna, I am finding this forum so helpful with the responses I receive - I really appreciate the feedback! :)

Glad Christina had actual experience.  The skin prep pads are super helpful.  It's just like an alcohol swab that you wipe on the infusion area before inserting it.  Really helps the adhesive hold.  Insurance doesn't cover them, but your pump supply company will let you buy them.  

www.americandiabeteswholesale.com/.../smith-nephew-skin-prep-protective-wipes_1175.htm

Hi! First day here and glad I can chime in on this one! My 5 year old has some time with the belly sites but we use the IV Prep and after the site is inserted we cover it with an IV3000. Works wonders for an active sweaty 5 year old as well as my adult sister in law who uses the same insets and covers her sites with the IV3000. Good Luck!

Mama of 3!

Jenni

Brittany   -  11/18/2001

Brandon  - 1/12/2004

Bryan    -    05/24/2007 T1 Since 12/2/2008 ~ Animas Pumper since 11/2009

The angle one stays in better.

I have some skin prep wipes that help it to stick. Also my daughter used to wear the patch over for swimming

I may have one or two samples left that may be expired but it’s adhesive so you can still try. Let me know if I the interested
I could mail to you
Jane