55th Diaversary!

Great to hear about your success at dealing with T1D, Leon! As I keep telling the students in a diabetes self-management class I give a ten-minute talk to once a month, it IS possible to live a long and rewarding life in spite of this crazy thing. I’ll hit 60 years with T1D in December. Before I actually got my Joslin 50-year medal, I was getting pretty smug about it, but then found out that they issue 75-year medals, and quite a few people have that. About a year ago I discovered they had to institute an 85-year medal when we medalists kept living longer and longer. So I have a goal to aim for! Hey, why not? I’ll only be 98!

Sorry, I meant Pam! These threads get so long I forget who I’m responding to…

Of course I meant both of you! I need to go to bed…

Congratulations to you all. You are inspiring!

Much thanks Dennis. Hope to meet you one of these days, Leon

Hi Leon, and thank you for your response. I am impressed with your willingness to try new technologies. My 91 yr old mother was diagnosed LADA @ 35 yrs ago.(T2 at first and then corrected @6 yrs later to LADA). I have suggested a CGM to her, as I have seen her have low bgs and not realize she’s dropping when visiting. She doesn’t like the idea of something “stuck” to her. I know we each have to decide for ourselves what we are willing to try. I just know she would benefit from a CGM!

I can’t imagine not wanting a CGM but we do all have our preferences. There is an implantable one made by Eversense that you might look into. The name is quite literally all I know about it. I hope she changes her mind! I hope longevity runs in your family! My mom made it to 94, and I have a great aunt who lived to 112!
Wishing you the best.

Hi Pam, I am approaching 90 in February and definitely hope that I will continue to use my CGM until my last day. It is that important to me as a Type One - mainly to avoid Hypo or low blood sugar situations or my last day may come sooner that I would like for it to. Tell you Mom that I would recommend a CGM for sure. Leon Ullrich

1 Like

Congratulations Pam. My own date of dx (64 yrs) is not exact but very close based on verbal report of family doctor when I was around 30 & needed to know date.

Congratulations especially on being free of complications.