10 Year Old Just Diagnosed

Hi Everyone!  My 10 year old son was just diagnosed with T1D on November 18th.  He was diagnosed at 2 with partial seizures with many delays in his development.  He was later diagnosed with Tourette's, ADHD complex and mood disorders.  I'm struggling to find the balance with everything.  I have 3 other children and a full time job.  Every day I'm calling in the numbers and having them changed to adjust for his sugar levels being in constant flux.  I feel like I'm spending every waking moment trying to make his day all normal as possible, and being a control freak has made it very hard for me to even let my husband take any of the responsibility for the insulin dosing or food measuring.  Of course it didn't help that when I did let him he messed it all up.  I need some shiny lining or someone to tell me that there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

I haven't been on the site in a long time, but your email compelled me to write. I don't have any experience with kids with T1 (other than the camps I volunteer at) but I have had it as an adult for two years. I am also a mom of two. You are a very strong woman and just know you are doing a phenomenal job so far. As with anything in life the more often you bolus for him, count carbs, correct, check labels etc. things get "simpler" from the stand point that very soon (since you are doing it day in day out) it gets more streamlined. Hang in there the first few months are the hardest at it changes your life. And in time when you are comfortable your husband will soon follow your lead. Stay strong. You have a lot on your plate but are doing well. In time a few things that seem cumbersome now will become second nature.

Diabetes is not a dam that you have to hold back.  It's more like a current that you have to learn to float along.  You'll learn as you go.

I wish I could tell you that if you do everything right that your son's blood sugars will be perfect and everything will be fine.  But diabetes is always changing and managing blood sugars is not an exact science.    

You will never reach perfection.  Have peace with that.  Do you best and don't sweat the small stuff.  Treat the lows and highs and track everything so your healthcare team can keep tweaking the doses.  Over time you'll be more adept at adjusting insulin than your son's doctors.

You need to let your husband get involved and also find areas where your son can start taking over part of his care.  Your husband messed it up the first time, but your son is still alive and the world didn't end.  It's important for everyone to be a part of the process and find what's going to work longterm for your family.  

The reality of diabetes is that it makes life different.  A diabetic can do anything a non-diabetic can, but we do it differently.  That's okay.  Your life is going to be different from this point forward.  It's going to be okay.

Take care and know that this is like the first few months of parenting where you're stressed and inept and the baby never stops crying.  But over time you'll settle into it better and will realize that it's better to lighten up a little and enjoy the ride.  

-Jenna

You are so strong! The beginning is so difficult at times, and it feels as though your life is spinning out of control but, it does get better. Jenna really gave you the best advice.

I am a control freak as well, and when people wanted to help me I just wouldn't let them. It took me becoming pregnant to finally let my husband help me with anything diabetes related but, when he did it was like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders and I was finally able to breathe! He took over the night time blood sugars checks for me so I could sleep. He helped me during the day by getting my stuff ready for me. It was little things but, they had a huge impact. You HAVE to get your husband involved because you don't have to do it alone. If god forbid you get sick or you can't be there what is going to happen? He won't know how to do anything. You both have to be involved in order for your son to get the best possible care! It will make your life so much easier and happier!

My 8 year old son was just diagnosed jan 10th 2014…it was a rough month…but there is light at the end of the tunnel :slight_smile:

Hello,
Our 10 year old daughter was just diagnosed as Type 1 last Thursday. We spend the weekend at University of Iowa Hospitals to get ketones under control and blood sugars down of course. Sent her back to school yesterday (which was of course nerve wracking in itself).
Last night I felt like crying and screaming and running away all at the same time, but this morning I feel better.
We are all having our own little challenges with this. The other day, my daughter and I both had simultaneous meltdowns over one teaspoon of peanut butter.
I’m sure it gets better with time, and will just seem like a new lifestyle to us and to you as well.
If we all hang in there together, we can surely do this. I am glad to have found you all.
Best of luck,
Lisa