Woke up sick

Hello,
Ever since my sister was diagnosed she’s never been sick. However today she woke up very nauseous and dizzy. Her glucose is fine and in range. Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do? Or why this is happening if her glucose is in range? She’s thrown up once and still feels dizzy and nauseous. This has been continuing for at least an hour.

The cause of these symptoms may have nothing to do with her diabetes, though it is smart that she is continuing to check her blood glucose levels, which can be affected by any illness. I recommend she check in with her doctor and continue to monitor blood glucose closely.

1 Like

We did check in so far she does have small to moderate ketones. We were instructed to rise her glucose over 200 and then give her correction. Thanks for your help!

It could be a simple bug or the flu. Follow doctors orders - typically we’re told to drink plenty of water or sugar free fluid to help wash the ketones out of the system.

1 Like

I second the checking of blood glucose levels suggestion- such a prudent step to take when any illness is suspected- even with a cold as I have seen with my brother. Also I second the drinking plenty of fluids of suggestion. Keep checking her blood glucose often in addition to the ketones.
Your sister is so lucky to have such a caring and dedicated sister like you.

3 Likes

From what I recall, make sure that she is still getting insulin bolus’s with easy to digest carbs, even if hyperglycemic. It’s part of the who DKA/cell starvation prevention scenario. Some find bolusing insulin for “real,” not diet, soda is tolerable, or jello with sugar, etc. Hope she feels better soon. I’ve had a few rounds that needed an IV. Good luck.

1 Like

After my son was diagnosed the endo suspected he had early nausea when his glucose was more in range because he had gotten used to the feeling of unknowingly being high. It was the swing in glucose levels that may have been making him sick. He was prescribed anti-nausea medication and it cleared up. So, it could be the body’s reaction to the swing in levels, could also be part anxiety. Some other considerations to what has already been mentioned.

1 Like

My cousin had those same symptoms and her doctor told her she had vertigo. Is she dizzy when she sits or stands up?

1 Like

No. Thankfully it only lasted about two hours. She’s fine now but thanks anyways.