Wireless / Cordless Pumps?

Hi!

I’ve been on the pump for about 15 years. I’ve done Minimed and Animas (currently on), and I think there was one other one in there? Now, though, I’m thinking about switching to a cordless one, maybe the OmniPod. Can anyone tell me more about cordless/wireless pumps? What’s available? How reliable are they? What’s the best available? Would love ANY feedback! Thanks very much!

Mary Elizabeth

Diabetes forecast magazine has a great article that came out a few months ago about comparing all of the pumps. You can check out a copy at your local library. They also have a digital copy you can get on you computer.
My son loves the Omnipod. It gives him the freedom he wants. He can shower or go jump in the pool without a disconnect. The PDM is not waterproof tho and just sits poolside in the shade. We have forgotten the PDM on occasion on the kitchen counter when we left in the car and had to turn around and go home to get it. I love that the pdm is also a blood glucose meter, and has a light for nightime checks. The pod that attaches has to be replaced every 2-3 days depending on how much insulin you need. I would check with your insurance too. Not all will allow Omnipod, as it is a little more expensive on a monthly basis.

I have been on the Omni Pod for 4 years now and I LOVE it! It is great as you can wear it on your leg, your arm, your stomach and don’t have the hastle of the tubes. I was on a Medtronic before and by far would stay with Omni pod. I wrote blogs on www.thepodders.ca if you want to check out other peoples stories of their experiences with the pump. I also like that the PDM has a built in tester so your not caring your pump on your hip and a separate tester it is all in one. I feel like I have a lot more freedom with this pump. It does stick out more then a regular site with Medtronic but you don’t have the device hanging off your hip anymore.

I have an omnipod and I hate it. The pods are too bulky for my lifestyle even though the upgraded pods are smaller than the original.

My wife and I run an Omnipod on our 15 month old daughter and absolutely love it. I know that doesn’t speak much in terms of opinion of someone that is actually wearing and using it on themselves, but from a performance aspect it does everything it says it’s going to do without any hiccups or issues. My daughter doesn’t even really notice that it’s there - which is kind of the point. She swims and baths without a disconnect - which is a huge plus for us being that her basal insulin is a big factor because of her age and size. No issues with insurance at all - and customer service has always been top notch.

If I could change or add anything it would be to have an integrated CGM (which Insulet is in the process of doing) - right now - we run a Dexcom G4 platnum on Olivia and can’t speak highly enough about that product either.

I in-vision a day when Omnipod will be integrated with Dexcom CGM technology and pump control and CGM info will be relayed via your smart phone. Outside of a cure or a complete bionic pancreas this is my dream.

1 Like

I’ve had Omni Pod for 3 years and I love it. I wear my pod on my back, and it’s small enough that no one notices. I used to have Animas Ping and it’s nice not having to deal with the cord. I don’t think I would go back to a tube pump unless it was an artificial pancreas.