Omnipod users?

My current pumps warranty is almost up and I'm looking into getting a new one.  I can't believe how many options there are now.  I like the idea of the Omnipod but I'm a little concerned about the size of infusion set.  I was wondering if there's anyone out there who uses this pump and wouldn't mind telling me what you think about it.  I know most people wear theirs on their arm.  Thanks.

Hi Rachel!

My 5 year old daughter is on the omnipod. She has been on it since May 08. We love it! Its tubeless, thats the best  part. Shes pretty active and it stays on. We put it on the belly,legs, love handle area and rotate sights. We havent tried the arm yet. The pod is about 2 1/2 " . If you go to omnipod.com. They have a video you can watch(very informative)Good luck to you, let me know .feel free to contact me with any questions.

Jana:)

I believe you can go to the Omnipod site and they will send you a sample omnipod for free.  It doesn't actually work (in that it doesn't deliver any insulin) but you can stick it on yourself and give it a test run to see how it will feel.  It comes with a cd as well but I'm not sure whats on it.  Hope this helps!

I have been on the Omnipod since 11/12/08. It is a good system, and I do enjoy many aspects of it. Site changes are very easy, and the system is pretty much 'in plain english'. I wear the Pod on my arms and my stomach, and for the most part get good absorption in both places.

While there are many things I like about the system, I am now switching to the MM522. It may have just been my most recent PDM(third one since November), but I have been getting multiple errors a week lately(8 in the last 4 weeks now). The most recent was on Tuesday when my Endo was trying to download my PDM's information. Everytime it errors(for me, usually resulting in me resetting the PDM), you not only lose the Pod(it does deliver basal still, but you can not bolus anymore), but the insulin that was in it. Also, be sure to always have a back-up meter. I made the mistake of going on a quick outing and only brought my PDM. Sure enough, it alarmed and I not only lost the ability to do anything with my Pod, but until I reset the PDM I didn't have a meter to check my BG. Big mistake on my part! Most of the alarms were static alarms, as it is very dry out here. So I now wrap the PDM in dryer sheets to try and prevent this. I have lost pods walking out of work, driving in the car, getting in or out of the car, lunch breaks etc. All for very stupid things, and it is quite frustrating. Insulet is great with replacing lost Pods, and I can't complain there. They have a wonderful costumer service. I just personally can not handle anymore random alarms. It makes me nervous. 

As I said, it may just be my bad luck with this most recent PDM. When I started in November it was very smooth transition, and worked wonderfully. The tubeless is a great aspect, and I really couldn't complain.

In about a year the pods will be smaller. Says my Omnipod rep and my doctor.

That might help in making a decision.

I've been on the Omnipod since November. It's the only pump I've ever used, as I was doing injections before that, so I can't really compare it to others but I love the fact that there's no tubing and I don't have to disconnect to take a shower or go swimming. The adhesive is strong and I've never had a problem with it coming off before the 3 days. My preferred site is on the back of my arms. I can't feel it or notice it at all. As with any pump, there are occlusion issues. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't have built in CGM capabilities, but supposedly that is in the works, and there is plenty of room inside the pod to provide for this with its current size. Also, you can call Omnipod (Insulet corp) 24/7 with questions, and when you have a problem with a pod (such as an occlusion) they will mail you a replacement pod free of charge each time. Overall, I give the omnipod 2 thumbs up! :)