Who's a bodybuilder?

Alright, who here lifts weights?!? I want to talk to you. If you weightlift regularly, this is where you need to discuss methods of training as a diabetic.

Hey there,

I've been training in bodybuilding for the past year and a half. I'm hoping to compete in several shows this coming Spring but still need to cut down on bodyfat.

I've had Type 1 for 10 years.

In the past year and a half, I've put on about 10-15 pounds of muscle. My leg press has gone from 300 pounds to almost 700. Deadlifts from 120 to 240 pounds. Bench press for 70 to 140. Etc.

And my insulin needs have been cut almost in half! My success is due to consistency, eating really well and paying a lot of attention to my blood sugars.

What kind of training have you been doing? What are you curious about?

Hey Ginger, thanks for your reply! I was dx on November 7th, 2008; it was quite a suprise. I was down to 130 lbs. In the last two months I've put on 40 pounds, and all of it lean muscle. My bench has jumped up about 80 lbs from my best before I was dx. My arms, both triceps and biceps have grown enormously and my shoulders have really taken off. I guess I can attribute a lot of this to my body actually working properly now, but I have had the biggest gains of my life. On Tuesday my A1c, after exactly two months after being dx, was 5.9, so I'm not compromising my blood sugars. Granted I'm still in honey moon phase, but my hga1c at dx was 17.1.

As far as my inquiries go, I am wondering how safe it is to weight train. Lately I have been pulling two-a-days with my roomate, who was once a personal trainer. We train extremely hard, always pushing each other. I take various supplements, but always monitor my blood sugar. I definitely "carb load" with a 4 to 1 ratio of carbs to protein after my workout, but I of course cover it with my rapid acting. I never "spike" it and always make sure I end up rite back at around 100. Is this O.K?

Thanks for any and all advice, in advance.

Hey -- woo! Sounds like you're on top of your business! Your A1C is awesome, and even though you're in your honeymoon phase, as you increase muscle you'll just continue to decrease your insulin needs.

Weight-training for someone with diabetes is A GREAT IDEA because muscle absorbs glucose so much that you need so much less insulin (which transports it and usually stores it as fat if your muscles and liver glycogen stores don't need it). As far as nutrition goes, you can, mostly, follow the traditional bodybuilding routine and it sounds like you keep a close eye on the carbs post-workout. I really have trouble with bodyfat when I eat too many carbs, so I've been limiting my carbs majorly 6 days a week, even after lifting and fill my diet with lots of lean protein and healthy fats. I use the carbs in protein meals to keep my blood sugar steady simply by not taking the insulin I'd usually take, and instead that minimal amount of carbs in the protein keeps me from dropping low.

As for supplements, I take em too: creatine, glutamine, beta-alanine and taurine. These are just as good for you as everyone else. I get my from TrueProtein.com. Really great company. The man who owns it is actually the creator of the program I follow with my trainer/co-worker.

(Did I mention I am a personal trainer and yoga instructor??)

it's called DC Training. Google it if you'd like. It's a very strict and detailed program, so you've gotta follow it and understand the science behind it. It's awesome!

Are you hoping to compete some day?

Ever checked out Doug Burns? http://www.thediabetesantidote.com/index.php

-Ginger

i lift weights at a training place called velocity and i'm doing pretty well in it.

So where do you train at?

Hey Parks,

I've never heard of Velocity. I train at the gym where I am also a personal trainer and yoga instructor. The Sports and Fitness Edge in South Burlington, VT.

-Ginger

I train at LA Fitness in Port St. Lucie, Florida. It's usually packed, but not so much the case at 6 a.m. . . .

well i never heard of either of those places probably caause i live in  minnesota but thats al right

I lift weights 4 - 5 times a week and have been doing so for many years.  I just started on an insulin pump last September.  I'll admit that before-hand I was a bit worried how it might affect my workout scheduled but it has turned out to be a great tool for building muscle.  Hit me up with any questions or advice of your own.  I love to talk bodybuilding shop.

hey guys, check this out: http://www.healthcentral.com/diabeteens/c/question/375373/65426