Bodybuilding with T1

Hey Guys!

I have been training for bodybuilding/fitness competitions for a couple of months now and I find that while I lift weights I never have my BG in a good range. I have heard that this is important so that your body is getting all the nutrients it possibly can. I also take protein shakes but that is it when it comes to supplements because I heard that creatine and BCAAs can be bad for T1’s but, I know that these supplements can be crucial for bodybuidling. I am curious if there is anyone who can give me some answers about this?

Thanks!

Hi Courtney (your name is near and dear to me) @chamm, in heave bodybuilding fitness programs you are mostly on your own when it comes to diabetes management - what will work for someone else may not work for you. The closest I’ve come to “that stuff”, and I got exhausted very quickly, was watching our daughter ad her husband workout - very briefly.
That aside, remember that much of what you are doing is anaerobic exercise which usually tends to raise body glucose significantly - happened to me during heavy bike rides - and may require you to take additional insulin. But later, as much as 12 hours after your exercise, you blood and bogy glucose levels may drop sharply and without warning. Some evenings by 9 or 10 PM after I’ve done morning and afternoon strenuous activity I’ll feel a leg-burn so I check BGL and find I to eat again even though I had a good dinner. Maybe if you took notes [during or after your heavy workout] and relate in your own words what your body is feeling and your BG and foods, you may be able to adjust your insulin more effectively - this is more readily managed if you use an insulin pump rather than 1 or 2 injections a day of background insulin. I spoke briefly about this with a major league baseball pitcher.
Keep up your outstanding attitude and you will certainly succeed.

1 Like