What is your most impressive achievement with diabetes?

Too many people believe that diabetes prevents us from accomplishing great and noteworthy achievements.
Let’s show the world that diabetes does not stop us from living our dreams!

I commute 65 miles every day (rain or shine) by bicycle, and my biggest single-day ride ever is over 200 miles (which took me 13 hours).

What is your most impressive achievement with diabetes?

3 Likes

My biggest accomplishment was running two 5K’s during college and it was the first time I had ever run such a long distance. I also plan on running another 5K this year for the Tour de Cure. Diabetes doesn’t have to control you. Good luck everyone!

2 Likes

Trekking in Nepal for four weeks with my wife. It was great, the most beautiful place I’ve ever seen. And since I was prepared for how elevation amplifies insulin sensitivity, I did great. We crossed a 17,800 foot pass. If I can do it, so can you.

2 Likes

Dennis…wow. Impressed can’t begin to describe my reaction to your commute!!! It sure puts my, “Sometimes, if I have time in the summer, I’ll play four to five 18-hole rounds of golf…in a cart.” to shame. Lol. That is beyond admirable. I’m speechless.

1 Like

Thanks for your encouraging words, Thomas! I appreciate it. I hope this motivates you. Don’t compare yourself to others, but see your own achievements as personal victories and the right steps to thriving with diabetes. All physical activities, no matter how small, will contribute to a healthier life. Diabetes does not stop us from accomplishing great things. Keep up the good work and know that you’re not alone!

I’ve ridden my bike across the country twice. Once in '99 and again in 2005 when I turned 50.

2 Likes

Two marathons in two days back to back
The third marathon I went super low but still managed to stagger across the finish line

1 Like

Awesome! That is three out of three!!!

Starting in 2008, I trained for 2 years for the Marathon des Sables in 2010. I was walking, not running, but managed 5000km in 2 years as I prepared. Then in 2010 I was in the Sahara in Morocco for the event. Unfortunately I didn’t finish, needing to pull out at the end of day 3 due to undiagnosed hypokalaemia, but the whole 2 year’s experience is something I will never regret - T1D and the Marathon des Sables

1 Like