Wacky Blood Sugars...how early?

Hi all,

As some of you already know my husband and I are trying for a little one.  Yay!

My question is this...How early did any of you experience low blood sugars?  The past 2 days I have been experiencing a little wacky trends.  It is still a little too early for me to take a test, but I was just wondering if the whole beginning process would cause some wacky numbers.

Hi Rose,

My blood sugars have started going crazy already. My period was supposed to start on Thursday. Wednesday night, my readings were 46, 457, and LO (under 30). On Friday, I had a hypoglycemic seizure for the first time in my life, and earlier it had been 319, very rare since my A1C is 6.1. Then this morning, two days after my missed period, I had a positive pregnancy test. I don't know what is in store for me, but I can tell it is going to be a rocky road. Good luck to you and your husband! I am so excited and I hope my baby is going to be okay!

When I found out I was pregnant, my blood sugars immediately started going low!  I believe it's due to all the hormones.  Good luck to you!  Hope you have positive results!

~Nicki :o)

Does anyone know how long the low blood sugars last?  I'm 14 weeks pregnant right now and I get lows all the time...most of the time I don't even realize I'm low till I check.  My doctor said most women have to increase their insulin when pregnant but I seem to be decreasing my insulin every couple days. 

I was constantly low throughout my entire pregnancy.  My basal rates went up slighlty towards the third trimester, but there was a point in time when I was not bolusing for meals because I would go low if I did.  It was similar to a "honeymoon period" if you ever went through one of those.  I was in really good control and my Hemoglobin A1Cs throughout ranged from 5.1 - 5.4.  My daughter just turned 6 months old this past Monday and is doing great so far!!  You will have to work closely with your doctor-adjusting your rates.  Are you seeing a high-risk OB?  Do you have a CGM?  If you don't it would probably help you through your pregnancy, especially if you are unaware of your lows.  I wore one throughout my pregnancy and was able to know when I was on my way up as well as on my way down.  Best of luck to you!!

~Nicki

Today I lowered my basal rate by .2 units an hour and I have been in the low 100's, versus being 60-80 all day long. I almost had another extreme hypoglycemic incident last night, so I know I have to change things. I am just worried it will suddenly go high but it sounds like I'm going to be this way for a while. I go to the endocrinologist tomorrow, I hope they are not upset the raised my readings a little. 

Nicki,

Yes, I am seeing a high-risk OB along with my regular OB and endo.  I have been lowering my basal rates and carb ratio every week sometimes twice a week.  I'm glad to know that some women do have alot of lows like I've been experiencing cause everywhere I've been reading talks about how you should expect your insulin to increase.  I do have a CGM that I wear most of the time.   But alot of the times my CGM will say my blood sugar is in the 90's or 80's when I'm actually in the 50's or 40's.  The CGM has definately helped me lower my A1Cs and would recommend everyone getting one.  My A1Cs have been ranging from 5.7 - 6.2.     Glad to hear your daughter is doing good and thanks for the advise! 

Maria

Thanks for all the input ladies.  I am nervous that I will have extreme lows, but I guess I will just have to roll with it when it happens.  I do have really really good awareness of my lows so hopefully that won't lessen when I am pregnant.  We'll see.  I just wish it would happen all ready so I can stop worrying about will happen.  Haha.