I'm pregnant! I need all the advice I can get! :)

Hey ladies!  Well, my blood sugars have been stable lately so my hubby and I decided that we would start trying to conceive around Christmas, thinking that we wouldn't be successful on our first try.  Believe it or not, we were!  I took a pregnancy test Monday and it was positive!  I've taken 4 home tests, one at the doctor, and had a blood test.  Ha!  My doc is excited and has referred me to a high-risk OB and I get my first ultrasound on Tuesday(I will be 5 weeks then).  I'm really excited, and would appreciate any advice, stories, etc. that I can get. 

I'm having some trouble going low a lot throughout the day, but apparently that's normal with pregnancy and diabetes.  I'm checking my sugars approximately 20 times a day to avoid ups and downs.  Anyone have thoughts, ideas, suggestions, advice?

Thanks in advance! :)

Hey Nikki, Congratulations! That is so wonderful. I'm not pregnant yet, but just wanted to tell you how excited I am for you and your husband. 

Hi Nikki...Congratulations! I have had 2 healthy pregnancies and babies. I checked my sugar about 10-12 times a day to keep on top of it, but I never seemed to go high. I admit I gave into my cravings a little too often but my A1c was between 5 -5.5 the entire time. I too saw a high risk OB and had an ultrasound every month which was reassuring. My kids are 5 1/2 and almost 3 and are healthy, active kids. Both my OB and pediatrician told me they don't really have any higher risk of being T1 and any other kid, which was something I was worried about.

Best of luck to you!! 

Hi Nikki, I am also pregnant, 23 weeks.  Congratulations on being lucky the first time, it is a rare instance for any woman. 

As for the lows, I started getting a lot of lows in early pregnancy.  If you are on a pump you'll have to start dialing down the basal and possibly adjusting your bolus ratios.  It really helps to write down your numbers so you can see a pattern, otherwise, as I'm sure you feel now, you'll be chasing yourself around the house with juice and snacks all day & night.  I am testing around 10 times a day, more if I feel I need it.  I was testing more in the first trimester because the good control is very important during that time, not to mention the peace of mind you'll have knowing that everything is okay.  I saw a diabetes educator who was also a nutritionist. She really helped me see the light with adjusting my pump. 

About 2 weeks ago I really started noticing changes happening with my levels, so just be ready for a change.  I've heard that your insulin needs can nearly triple by the end, scares me a bit because I'm already a bit resistant.  Going to the doc tomorrow.  I'm sure we'll start increasing my doses steadily. 

Best of luck, sounds like your doing great for you and the baby so far. 

Thanks ladies!  I had my first appointment last week and everything is great so far!  I wasn't far enough along yet to see a heartbeat but the gestational sac is attached and looking strong!  My A1C was 6.7% and my doctor was really happy with that.  She said it would drop about 1% on it's own during pregnancy so that would put me around 5.5% and that's perfect.  I go back again on January 27th to get another ultrasound and hopefully I can see the heartbeat then!  I'm so amazed by this whole pregnancy thing.  It's such a miracle and a blessing!  I will keep you updated on how things go! :)

Congrats on the pregnancy.  Sounds like everything is going along smoothly.   It's kind of cool how with diabetes we get ultrasounds at leaste once a month.  My friends all have like one or two ultrasounds from their pregnancies.  I could create a book with all the ones I have from both my pregnancies.    I hope everything continues progressing well for you.