Unpredictable numbers now

Hi Folks,

My daughter's glucose has been hard to control lately. A few day sago she went to bed at 140 and woke up at 220. Today she woke at 160 ( kind of high for her) had her usualy breakfast and 2 hours later she was at 210. 

This is becoming the new normal. Our CDE suggested that our our raising her Lantus one unit a to weeks ago could have had the opposite effect and made her higher in the morning. The first morning after the unit increase she woke up 50 points higher than usual.

She has had a sore throat for a couple weeks but tested negative for strep. Her pediatrician thinks it is just allergies. She prescribed Allegra. Could allergy medicine affect her too?

any medicine with some sugar content can effect you, but usually not very much (I use reactine for my hayfever) but it could be the dawn phenomenon or "rebound hyperglycemia" (you go low and your body kicks out glucose but as a result you end up waking up with a high).

either way, try testing her at 2am or 3am if you can. if she's high, it's dawn; if she's low-ish, then it's probably rebound.

Some medications can raise blood sugar.  Experiment with others and see if her numbers are the same.  I've had good luck with Benedryl and don't notice higher numbers. 

She might also just be growing and need more insulin.  When was the last time her rates were adjusted.  Has she gotten taller or gained 5+ pounds since then?

Good luck figuring it out.  Managing diabetes is always a work in progress.

She grew 2 inches over the summer and gained about 5 pounds. She was at 3 units of Lantus and now up to 5. Sometimes her Humalog seems right and sometimes not.

It seems that it is becoming harder to control her glucose levels. Perhaps her honeymoon is ending. My wife is really stressed out.

Managing diabetes seems like what I imagined having twin newborns would be like. Its like we have another couple babies to care for now.

Hi Terry -

For me, my insulin requirements change throughout the day. I know that I need more insulin coverage in the early hours of the morning because of the "dawn phenomenon." It's a difficult thing to account for on Lantus, but relatively easy with an insulin pump. My basal insulin changes rates 4 different times during the day, and I'm able to enter different carb-to-insulin ratios throughout the day as well. It really helps to keep me in line. However, that's not to say that everything is perfect.

As I'm writing this, a couple things come to mind. When is your daughter taking her Lantus? I know when I was taking it, it was working for roughly 22 hours. So, I had to time the delivery of the next shot so there wasn't a window of so-so coverage. I agree with the previous posts of testing early in the morning. It's a hassle, but it would give you much needed information. Also, I remember going through puberty made it more difficult to control my levels from time to time.

I hope you figure it all out! Good luck!

[quote user="rockgal84"]

As I'm writing this, a couple things come to mind. When is your daughter taking her Lantus? I know when I was taking it, it was working for roughly 22 hours. So, I had to time the delivery of the next shot so there wasn't a window of so-so coverage.

[/quote]

if she's not already, she may have to split her lantus. i take 18u in the morning and 15u at night. i tried the one dose, but it didn't work so we split it.

We were doing so well until school started. It is porbably mostly coincidence. I think we will try the early morning testing to see if the Lantus is no longer working long enough.

We are filling out the papers for a pump and CGM. My daughter wants the Medtronic. It seems good enough for me. She tried the Omnipod test and it wouldn't stay on her. I hope the CGM will help too. My greatest fear is a dangerous low in the middle of the night.