Normal morning numbers, high daytime numbers

Gavi seems to have his best numbers of the day when he wakes up. This morning it was 110, yesterday it was 86, and rarely over 120. But for the past few weeks, the rest of his numbers have been really high, in the high 200's, the past few days mostly in the 300's. Today before lunch it was 198 (unfortunately now I consider that a great number compared to what we've seen lately). He finished lunch around 2pm or so, and wasn't hungry for a snack so he went until 6pm without eating. Before dinner his number was 101. 2 hours after dinner it shot up to 264 (he ate at most 40-45 carbs for dinner). Yesterday morning (when he had the 86) he ate at most 30 carbs, maybe even a little less. I wanted to see how his breakfast would affect his blood sugar, so I tested him 2 hours after breakfast, it went up to 395. It stayed in the 300's for the rest of the day. He has an appointment with his endo. next week and we pretty much expect her to start him on Novolog.

Does anyone else have great morning numbers but terrible daytime numbers? I know he's only on Lantus right now and I can't expect it to keep his numbers under control, but shouldn't it do something to help his daytime numbers? When he was sick and had to use the nebulizer, his endo. couldn't increase his Lantus because his morning numbers were really good (he had a few morning numbers in the 70' at the time), but his blood sugar would go down on its own so she didn't want us giving him Novolog yet.

it is common to need more insulin with meals as you get bigger.  i don't know if Gavi had a prolonged honeymoon or not, but if he was still making a little insulin, his blood sugar would be a lot easier to control.  if that changed, you would have a harder time keeping his blood sugar down.

I am guessing that you guys need to check his sensitivity and carb ratios.  it's not hard.  he may need more fast acting for each gram of carb he eats, compared to what he is getting now.  if you are uncomfortable adjusting insulin, maybe you could work with a CDE.

stress and illness will also increase a person's insuin resistance (making blood suagr numbers rise).  it could also be a temporary thing.

good luck,

I agree with Joe.  He likely needs insulin for meals since its the carbs raising his numbers so high.  The fact that he wakes up with great fasting numbers indicates his Lantus is likely already the right amount.

We give him his dose of Lantus in the morning, so shouldn't it be out of his system by the time he wakes up in the morning if Lantus works for about 24 hours? We already try to be careful about how many carbs he eats during meals and snacks, but at this point I don't think his numbers reflect what he eats. He can have some crackers and string cheese and his numbers will still be in the 200's/300's. We were told by his nutritionist to give him some protein with each meal/snack and we do, but it still doesn't seem to prevent his numbers from going really high.

Hopefully Gavi will have better numbers soon after starting on Novolog.  Must be hard now with having had Easter and getting good results with no short acting insulin to cover carbs/candy.

Hopefully Gavi's numbers will improve greatly with Novolog.  Must of been hard with having Easter and to not have a fast acting insulin for carbs/candy.  

We have experienced that a lot with my daughter. Emily is five years old and takes Humolog/ Novolog before breakfast and Humolog/ Lantus before dinner, this is so she won't have to get a dose while at school. For most days this works great  for her, but every so often she will get some really high numbers in the afternoon and evening numbers with no explanation for it. It can be so frustrating when those high numbers seem to pop up out of nowhere.  

Hi there. I was diagnosed when I was 4 yrs old.  I'll be 35 in May. :D  I'm on Novolog, and it works great for me.  You must count cards, exactly. Novolog is fast-acting, so you must eat within 5-10 mins of injection.  Also, for me, I've learned that eating 3-4 oz of chicken, rice, and vegies, 3x a day with some fruit for snacks works well. But remember fruits are high in carbs, so you'd need Novolog for those as well.  Good luck with your little one.  It will get easier.  :)  Leslie