Ummm, sleep?

Don’t you just love it when you wake up to having apple juice poured down your throat. Nothing better than waking up at 2. Also there’s been no adavamce in research so it looks like this might keep happening for a long time, ain’t that great!

I wouldn’t say there haven’t been any advances in research.

I’m sorry that you had a tough morning, but you’re lucky you have people in your life who will notice and help you. I’m assuming there were people helping you; it doesn’t sound like you were sleep-drinking apple juice. I, on the other hand, live alone and it’s not like my cat’s going to know what to do. If I don’t wake up and treat myself, game’s over.

You are so right @bsteingard, there have been many, many developments in the past century in regard to management of diabetes; I’m really happy to see that you are among the many who appreciate what is being done.
I don’t know about you, but I associate with people who were around before the discovery of insulin and its development for human usage.

Sleep? Who’s that? Never heard of her…
Seriously though, I can relate. It sucks. There’s no other way to say it.
Like @bsteingard said, it’s important to stay optimistic. Scientists are working on a cure, and we’re much better off now than we were 20 years ago. That said, I know that doesn’t change what we have to go through and regardless of your circumstances, everyone has moments where they just get completely fed up.
I hope you’re feeling better now. Please feel free to message me if you ever need to rant about anything.

@Dennis, I was diagnosed in '93, so I never had to cope without insulin, or blood tests, or disposable needles, but I know how much the glucose monitors and needles have changed and improved. My injections are virtually painless now and they definitely weren’t when I was a kid. I remember the development of lantus and other long-acting insulins, the first pancreas transplant, the first CGM, the first insulin pump… @supersam101, advancements happen all the time.

Not to be rood or anything by why make this disease seem so negative. Some of us take care of ourselves and I haven’t lost any sleep and I have only had this for 6 months, its not like I am a pro. Just suck it up and work through it.

@bsteingard @byrnethom
Well it’s 2018 and where’s that cure?

And Byrne you’ve only had it for six months which means that you haven’t even left the honeymoon faze. You basically don’t even have to start worrying yet.

@supersam101 Cures dont just pop out from the trees. It takes time, literally centuries, to develop to reverse something that naturally occurs.

Secondly, I have only been diagnosed for 6 months. My honeymoon phase may have happened way before I was diagnosed as I was struggling with unknown symptoms for about a year. I dont need to start worrying because I listen to my doctors and can control what I eat like a good boy.

1 Like

Hey, guys, we’re not here to fight.
Everyone handles this condition in different ways and some people find it easier than others. It’s great to have a positive attitude about it and minimize its affects on your life. But I think everyone here, myself included, has had days when nothing is going their way and at times like that, T1D can feel like a real burden. That’s why we’re on this forum in the first place–to congratulate each other on the good days and sympathize on the bad ones. This should be a place where people can feel comfortable sharing their anger and struggles, because people here get it. There are days when having T1 really sucks, and if you haven’t experienced one of those days yet, then I’m really happy for you, but it does happen to a lot of PWD, myself included. Everyone has their own challenges and we’re here to help each other face one that we happen to share.

1 Like

I didn’t say anything before about a cure, supersam101. I said there have been advancements in research and shared an article about a new lead. Need I remind you that many of the advancements I mentioned were funded by JDRF, the organization hosting this very forum? I used to be a lab animal technician and I’ve volunteered for JDRF my whole life. I know first hand that research takes time and there are a lot of false starts. Rome wasn’t built in a day. But progress has been made and it’s unfair to all the people at JDRF, and the ADA, and countless other organizations who work their butts off to help you to say that there haven’t been any advancements in research. I get that you had a bad night and needed to vent. I’ve used this website that way, too, and found strength in the messages of support I received. In return I try to help others when they need it. But you just keep spewing negativity. I don’t need you to remind me that I’ve been sick for 24 years. I’m well aware. But at least I’ve made an effort to change that and do some good in the world. There are a lot of people out there, like bookwormnerd13, who are trying to help you so thank her, at least, and count your blessings. And if you want a cure so badly, stop whining and do something about it.

4 Likes

@bsteingard @byrnethom woah woah, I didn’t mean to start that Really bad communication on my part, sorry. I do control my blood sugar, but it’s kinda hard when you are angry and it’s late at night. I am actually doing research myself and the best I’ve come up with is a protein called Alpha-1-Antitripsin. I was just saying (kinda to myself) that they said they would release trials or something (not sure because I don’t remember yesterday well) in 2018. Also it’s not that I don’t eat health and listen to what my doctors say. It’s a bit of a rough time, because I’ve had two Diabetic seizures from low blood sugar. One I was at lunch and one I literally woke up and immediately went into seizure. Now this gets interesting because my diet is reshuffled not like putting in more carbs…no…no. More like taking out all carbs, I literally was starving at school and my blood sugar then wouldn’t go below 13. Weird? Not really because as soon as my parents saw the down arrow on my “amazing” new meter. They would force me to have a sugary drink like grape juice. Feels good at 19 btw :stuck_out_tongue:

So now because of my diet reshuffle I’m not allowed peanut butter. I used to literally live off peanut butter. It was the one thing that I could eat without it being cheese or nuts disguised as a terrible tasting sponge cake or biscuit (the cake could soak up my pool). The meaning of this is that I now have nothing to eat when I just want a snack…a good snack. No more walking to the kitchens for a spoon of PB no more lunch at school. Feels great eating one slice of toast for breakfast too.

EDIT:

They’ve made advancements huh? I read a thing about a new “advancement”… it was a insulin pen and the insulin just contained a longer chain of carbon atoms to act in your body faster and latch onto the carbohydrates. Yes announce a new advancement…oh yay a new pen to stand myself with, ain’t that great

@supersam101 I have never had a seizure before and was wondering what your levels were for that to occur. Purely wondering.

1.7 supposedly . That’s if the meter was right and if the “nurses” knew what they were doing in this third world country.

@byrnethom hi Thomas,

seizures and coma are a result of extremely low blood sugar. Insulin Shock Therapy (seizures caused, on purpose, using insulin) was used in early treatments of schizophrenia. I think Wikipedia has a pretty good description.

Hi Thomas @byrnethom,

Low BGL does not necessarily result in seizure - there are other factors necessary for seizure.
I have never had a seizure but I’ve had some VERY LOW BG readings - lab readings done by professionals. Including a 9 mg/dl [0.5 mmol/L] where I was unconscious and needed 90 minutes of intensive treatment to awaken me and a 22 mg/dl [1.3 mmol/L] which I managed on my own.

@supersam101,
A place you might be able to learn about “Advancements in Diabetes” could be in news reports and presentations to peers and the general public. An example:
The annual International Conference on Advanced Technologies and Treatments for Diabetes (ATTD) took place in Vienna, Austria this February 2018. The conference drew experts, researchers, healthcare practitioners, industry representatives, and patient advocates from around the world to learn about the latest updates in diabetes technology and therapy.
This might be a wonderful bit of enlightenment for you. Correct, no one is promising a cure this year, but if you decide to take care of yourself you may live to see your dream come true - you gotta work for that.

1 Like

Well said :heart:️:heart:️:heart:️ Bookwormnerd13

@supersam101. It’s ok to be angry. Not like you need permission but I get the inclination. The last thing you want when you just want to put your fist through a wall because this SUCKS are people trying to tell you it’s ok and to look on the bright side. Get angry. Lose it in any way you like—but then find your center again. This happens to me all the time. Most of the time it’s just really annoying but then those weeks of NOTHING working the way they’re supposed to happen and I just want to pound my fists. I work for one of these pharma companies that’s jacking up our insulin prices. Imagine waking up to face that too every day. Our struggles are all different but all the same. So again, I say GET ANGRY. You’ve earned it. But then let it go so you’re in a good place deal with whatever comes next. Hang in there.