Type one on Dr. Bernstein diet

When I follow Dr. Bernstein’s diet to the letter, and strive to keep my BG at 83, then yes, I do get my fair share of hypos. Fortunately, I can feel them coming (most of the time) and always make sure to have glucose tabs with me to correct in advance. But realistically, keeping your BG in that range doesn’t leave much room for error. A CGM certainly helps as it shows you how your BG is trending - not wearing mine at the moment though, as I’m waiting for Medicare to start paying for it!

Following Bernstein’s plan works well for me, but I tend to keep my BS target at 100. I wear both a pump and CGM, since I don’t feel all my lows. The biggest thing for me has been basal testing and working with my CDE through weekly phone appointments. My control was stellar until menopause, which was pretty crazy for awhile. My A1C is fairly steady at 5.4.

By keeping my carbs to a minimum, I use much less insulin, of course. Having my basals tightly tuned in avoids most lows. Naturally, I carry glucose tablets in my purse, my cars, my nightstand, etc.