Low Carb is good for diabetes

I eat a low carb diet, I find it's the easiest way to control my blood sugars and keep my A1C low.  When first diagnosed, I read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic diet book, and it makes perfect sense. 

Tricia,

I've kept relatively good A1C's by using familiar foods (foods I can know how to dose for easily) as the core of my diet and staying reasonably active.  I have heard and read a number of positive comments about Dr. Bernstein's work and some who were less positive...  I have to admit I am curious to hear how a day in the life of his program may look.  If you are willing to share it, I’d love to know what your Thanksgiving meals were like and maybe what you would pick as your favorite restaurant fare.

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Cheers,

A-D

I had an issue a few weeks ago with a person I had met over facebook who was not a diabetic but insisted that the cure to diabetes was to go low carb. I have read over Dr. Bernsteins book and I do agree that it could help, however, I was incredibly upset by this person because she was insisting that to cure diabetes is to cut out carbs completely. After researching his book, I realize that potentially low carb could work. I'm set on  my own ways because I know they work for me. I eat a low carb diet but not a no carb diet like this person was trying to tell people to do. I feel she was giving information to people that was incorrect and should not be telling people that the cure to diabetes is eating no carbohydrates.  However, I'm very glad that his diet plan works for you!

A-D,

I think that is the key, knowing how to dose, and for me small numbers is the best way.  Hence the low carb.  I don't do no carb, as that is not realistic for me.  I eat tons of veggies and they do have carbs.  I think people are turned off by his book, because it seems so radical. If diabetics were taught this from the beginning, it wouldn't be so hard to then incorporate carbs back in. 

A day in the life of me is not so bad :)  I typically eat eggs and wasa for breakfast.  The dawn phenomenon hits me hard in the morning, so just about anything I put in my mouth raises my blood sugar more than normal.  Luckily, I have a pump to help combat that. Lunch is a great giant salad or some kind of protein (Chicken, fish, turkey, tofu- since I don't eat red meat) and veggies.  I do not crave any starch because I haven't had it in so long, my body does not feel like it needs it.  Dinner is pretty much the same a lunch protein and veggies and salad. My A1C is 6.2 and my cholesterol is low, so the fat myth is really that, a myth. Everything in moderation is not a bad idea.

I snack on nuts and cheese and love to make my own deserts, even cheescake!  (low carb of course)  I do not feel deprived.  Sure, every now and then I feel like I could eat a bag of M&M's but I also now that I like my fingers and toes where they are! 

Thanksgiving was wonderful.  Turkey, a parsnip and spinach casserole, butternut squash soup, brussel sprouts, mashed cauliflower (tastes like mashed potatoes), and pumpkin bread I make from ground almonds instead of flour.  I made stuffing for my family and had cranberry for them too. 

Most restaurants are more than happy to replace the fries with a salad or veggies.  You just have to ask.  Yup, I am the woman at the table who asks what's in the food, is there flour? Is it breaded?  Can I have veggies instead of a baked potato?  If they don't substitute, I don't go back.  It's my health, it's important to me.  BUT I won't give up going out to dinner...I love food too much.

Thanks for asking, feel free to ask more!

Best,

Tricia

1 Like

Tricia,

Now you've gone and made me hungry... LOL (Any chance I can get that pumpkin bread recipe from you???)

Thank you for taking the time and sharing, it sounds like I have some reading to do.    I will probably ask more questions when I've done a bit more to educate myself. 

Until then, I will look forward to reading more of your posts... :)

Cheers!

A-D

Heather,

I love when non diabetics try to tell diabetics about "cures".  I once had a guy tell me that the cure for type 1 was the raw food diet.  Oh how I wish it was!  I would do itin a minute!  There is no cure for type 1 diabetes, but there are tools to manage it better.  For me, low carb (not no carb) is the way to go.  I eat less than 15 grams of carbs per meal.  Sometimes I do more, yes, and I compensate for it with more insulin.  I also know that extra insulin floating around in my body is going to make me gain weight.  Not something I want, therefore I keep those numbers low and try to cover my food as closely as possible.  It takes a bit of work, but what doesn't, right??

Tricia

1 Like

I have tried to go on a low carb diet, and ended up in big trouble with a bad hypoglycemic episode. This was before I was on the insulin pump. Do you think the low carb diet is easier when on the pump?

YES!  I think it is much easier because you are not constantly chasing those lows.  It is much more precise.  And when bolusing you still have to figure out the carb count, but it is much smaller, and a slower more steady blood sugar.

1 Like

I will post the recipe definitely.  It's a keeper. 

I went and saw a dietician. I'm not on a really low carb diet, but I do watch how many carbs I eat.

I feel you! I've had people tell me they know people who have been completely cured from all types of diabetes!

[quote user="empresaenchanted"]

I feel you! I've had people tell me they know people who have been completely cured from all types of diabetes!

[/quote]

Type 1 diabetes can't be cured. It can be regulated to the point where you are living an almost normal life, but it can't be cured.

i eat around 200-250 carbs on average each day. sometimes less.

I eat 120-160 carbs per day.

I try to eat less than 12-15 carbs per meal as suggested by Bernstein.  Here is why I think Bernstein is on to something:  he does not just understand Type 1 from an academic standpoint, he is actually diabetic himself.  He understands every facet of the disease... 

I once had someone claim that Tahitian Noni Juice would cure Type 1!  HAAAAA HAAAAAA HA!

1 Like

Even Dr. Bernstein himself doesn't say his program will cure Type 1 diabetes, but it will enable you to achieve blood sugar control in the non-diabetic normal range of 80-90 and an HbA1c in the low 5's.  This level of control has been proven to postpone or prevent the onset of life-threatening complications and even to reverse some, such as retinapathy, neuropathy and heart disease.

I follow a slightly modified version of Dr. Bernstein's diet and normally eat between 50 and 80 grams of carbs daily.  (Many of the carbs I have to count were from glucose tabs eaten to control lows.)  Regular daily exercise -- aerobic and anaerobic (resistance), are almost as essential to the Bernstein regimen as diet.  I work out 1 1/2 hours at least every other day, ...usually more.  In addition to better blood sugar control, I have also managed to lose 31 pounds and two pants sizes over the last two months.

The lo-carb and exercise routine takes some getting used to, but it gets a whole lot easier when you begin to see and FEEL the positive results.

My dad is always reading up on "cures" for me. His latest has been Gila Monster venom! I don't think I want that in my body!

After reading all these responses I think I need to cut back on my carbs. My carb intake has gotten way outta control lately.

It makes me crazy when people say they have a simple cure for diabetes. I eat low carb and this, along with exercise helps my blood sugar. But I have a hard time believing that not eating carbs will "cure" diabetes. Speaking of people with "cures" I was once told through email, "Molly, all you have to do is get that operation, where they connect your stomach to your small intestine. It worked for my friend. No more diabetes. This cure works for everyone" Yep, I was actually told that. I wanted to punch someone but also died laughing.

This is a pretty interesting post, and I would like to read that book.  I probably follow a relatively low carb diet in comparison to a typical American's diet.  I am curious about a potential link between insulin delivery methods and carb management.  I have found lately,  is that I need to be better about understanding my carb to insulin rations, time certain carbs take to digest, and when my insulin absorption rates in order to try and line it all up.   I have  increased my activity level in triathalon training, and wouldn't be able to get through workouts without an increase in carbs.  Does anyone have trouble with energy levels?

Hi, everyone.

When considering a low carb diet, just remember your brain needs a MINIMUM of 130g of carb EVERY DAY to function properly. Low carb options might help you manage your diabetes more, but also think about the rest of your body's functions. Diabetes is merely one aspect of your entire self as a functioning unit. Even if you consume a higher carb diet, it is very possible to control your BGs. Your brain is the main data center for all your body's functions - don't deny it the energy it requires in the name of better blood sugar control.