Type Dexcom calibration code MANUALLY (Don't use QR Code))

We’ve had nothing but inaccurate readings from dexcom for months until someone at dexcom told us when you activate it for the first time type calibration code manually and don’t use iphone camera to scan qr code. magically it fixed a lot of issues with inaccurate dexcom. I guess software glitch. Hopefully it will help you all

Greg @dv2000 , you just confirmed the age-old saying - Keep it Simple.
Simply enter four digits directly on the screen rather than trying to flatten [necessary for an accurate QR picture as both Dexcom and you now know] out a curved tab and then snap a picture.

Well, I’ll add this: Ive scanned the code and it has worked absolutely fine for me the last 12 sensors but I’ll admit that’s all the experience I have. When I first read your post I thought you were saying to not enter a code at all- which works by the way but you have to calibrate regularly after doing that.

@dv2000 , @Dennis , @joe I have seen this same issue - question - problem raised in multiple places around the Internet. The answers always begin with, "I asked Dexcom support ?A? and they responded with “answer Z prime”.

The point here is if you ask about a situation, say you have been doing this, that or the other, Dexcom reps will answer the opposite should be tried.
A CDE (haven’t learned new 4 letter thing) at an endo had three Dexcom users call, authenticate & present a problem to support. Two reported A, & 1 reported B. They were the scan QR or manually enter number.

You all guessed it. If you had problems scanning, you were told to manually enter. If you had trouble with manual entry, you were told to scan…

FUN!

1 Like

@987jaj sad and hilarious at the same time! I don’t count my iphone as a medical device, even though I am using it as one. If the communications are lost or something wacky happens, first thing I do is close all open applications and restart my phone. It’s difficult to be serious about using a phone for something important when so many “non-serious” apps are also installed on the same device… anyway, I hear what you are saying, my only follow-on thought is that g6 customer support may be losing relevance as g7 draws near. in other words, no one at apple, android, or Dexcom may be interested in an actual “root cause” because we are already at the next brand-new thing. cheers.

1 Like

@987jaj I may be the “fortunate exception” to the other than accurate information from Dexcon service reps. And like @Joe, I use my phone as a supplemental device as intended and not as a medical device. For me, and this doesn’t apply to many Dexcon users, my infusion pump is which I’ve identified as my principal Receiver is within 23" of me and real handy when changing sensors and transmitters.

Very timely to this Topic, yesterday I received a message from Dexcon acknowledging receipt of defective equipment that had been replaced - VERY efficiently. Included in the email were five links to official Dexcom instruction including the instruction for replacement of G6 Transmitter which was updated on the website on September 10, 2021; link below. There also was a link for “fixing iPhone problems” which I didn’t read.

I’ve been wondering why a form 510(k) has not yet been submitted to the FDA for use of the supposedly fantastic G7, referred to above. I suspect the reason may be is because there are not any phones yet approved as Medical Device - phones are a critical aspect of G7 features.

How do I replace my Dexcom G6 transmitter? | Dexcom

1 Like

I use Tandem T:connect - it’s often more convenient to look at readings on my phone than to dig my pump out of my pocket, but in some ways I’m “old school” and would enter my code manually no matter what app I used. Sounds like @Dennis and I are on the same page too.
Speaking of the G7, have you heard any chatter about when it should be coming out? At one point I think they said end of 2021 but I haven’t seen anything lately.

1 Like

Dorie @wadawabbit , a couple of things. t-Connect is simply a very convenient viewer for the information on the face of the t-Slim pump. It reflects the same graph seen on the pump, and when touching the top-right corner of the pump screen it displays the information seen on the t-Connect; t-Connect can not be used to begin a Transmitter or Sensor session. The Dexcom phone app can be used to start both transmitter and sensor.

The G7 will NOT be released until after FDA Certification or Approval; I hope it gets “Approval” and not only Certification like most other sensors. Certification or Approval will not be received before Dexcom submits an application - as of last month, the CEO said that a 510(k) had not yet been submitted to FDA.

1 Like

Thanks @Dennis . I know t:connect is a very simple app compared with what Dexcom offers - apologies if I may have caused people to confuse them. I know many of most like Dexcom’s apps but I prefer t:connect - It works fine for my needs. I’m waiting for the G7 with baited breath, add the saying goes - but I’m not holding it​:blush::mantelpiece_clock::mantelpiece_clock::mantelpiece_clock:.

@wadawabbit , @joe , @Dennis . I seem to have the ability to step in more things that stink than the average person. True, the only ‘medical’ devices for G6 are the Dexcom Receiver or integrated pumps like the Tandem X2 with enabling software like BIQ or CIQ.

As far as G7, some of my global cohorts share the EU equivalent of 510(k) was submitted in the past two weeks. A peer in the EU believes it may be out by Christmas.

Hope this helps clean the boots. GRIN.

I’m looking forward to this. Then comes the CMS process which hopefully will come as quickly as the CMS acceptance of G6 after the work of FDA.
Even after CMS approval of G6, on October 17th, it was December of the following year before I started the G6 due to Dexcom “roll-out” logistics. Hope I live long enough, although the good part is all kinks in usage will probably be solved before the first G7 goes in my arm.

@987jaj , I hope your boots will be pretty-smelling by the time you get your G7 :sunny:

1 Like