Type 1 vs Type 2

So in my english class at college we were told that we were gonna have to write a paper comparing or contrasting two things. At first I had no idea what to write about but then it hit me..... write about the differences between type 1 and 2. I dont know about you but it gets really annoying when people assume they are the same thing. So hopefully it can help out a few people.

That sounds like it's going to be an interesting paper to write.  Lots of venting, lol.  Good luck!

TYPE 1 and type 2 are completely different. One big difference is type one usually occures within childhood or the first 20 years of your life. It is pretty rare to see a type 2 under 20 years old...

[quote user="Kelsey"]

TYPE 1 and type 2 are completely different. One big difference is type one usually occures within childhood or the first 20 years of your life. It is pretty rare to see a type 2 under 20 years old...

[/quote]

Hi Kelsey,

Just wanted to let you know type 1 has changed. There are more older people getting Dx'ed with type 1. I know of one who last year(08) in aug., while in ICU was dx'ed type 1. Bs of 672 and a1c of 13.2 and he was 52, can you believe it? Oh that guy is me!!!LOL

[quote user="Keith221"]

[quote user="Kelsey"]

[/quote]

Hi Kelsey,

Just wanted to let you know type 1 has changed. There are more older people getting Dx'ed with type 1. I know of one who last year(08) in aug., while in ICU was dx'ed type 1. Bs of 672 and a1c of 13.2 and he was 52, can you believe it? Oh that guy is me!!!LOL

[/quote]

haha, i knew that but just pointing out that MOST of the tym it's younger peepz...

I did a report on this 2 years ago.. and you end up finding out alot more than you thought you already knew. Like type one people are getting older, and there is more and more kids diagnosed with type 2 at a young age because of their being over weight... its changing a lot llike you said Keith

Funny, I read there are starting to be more oldies. LOL Joking aside, they did tell me that, I must be a big kid!!!HaHa

haha nothing wrong with bein a big kid.

but they did stop calling it juvenial diabetes for a reason haha

[quote user="Andrew"]

[/quote]

Yea, people like me!!LOL

I am disproportionately happy about this. Here's an additional irony: I am actually teaching comparison or contrast as a form in my English classes right now. Well, to be more accurate, I start teaching about comparison or contrast tomorrow. I am debating now how ethical it would be to hijack the collective brains and learning time of my classes tomorrow to talk about differences (under the guise of teaching this form) between T1 and T2.

[quote user="Andrew"]

[/quote]

I didnt know they stopped calling it juvenial. I know older people are starting to get it but I thought it was still called the same.

[quote user="Oanj9"]

[quote user="Andrew"]

[/quote]

I didnt know they stopped calling it juvenial. I know older people are starting to get it but I thought it was still called the same.

[/quote]

Were all type 1 (auto-immune) and the other type 2 and the new one LADA

I always thought it was silly that it was called juvenile diabetes because even though usually you are diagnosed as a child, it doesn't go away once you reach your adult years!  I was not a child when I was diagnosed -- I was 19.  I definitely prefer the T1 & T2 designation.

Good luck with your paper.  I think it'll be really interesting and informative for you as you research and for your teacher when he reads it!

I've never considered it to be juvenile either, my dad was diagnosed at 26 and I was diagnosed at 19. I had a professor ask me this semester when I was diagnosed, I said 19. He asked if it was type 1 or 2 and I said 1 he said it must be between 1 and 2? haha

I think that is an awesome topic for a paper!  Good for you! 

[quote user="Crochet Nut"]

I am disproportionately happy about this. Here's an additional irony: I am actually teaching comparison or contrast as a form in my English classes right now. Well, to be more accurate, I start teaching about comparison or contrast tomorrow. I am debating now how ethical it would be to hijack the collective brains and learning time of my classes tomorrow to talk about differences (under the guise of teaching this form) between T1 and T2.

[/quote]

Totally ethical! Not only will you be doing a service by teaching both English and science, but you need an example anyway right?

What's  LADA?

Gotta love the google.

LADA - Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults http://www.diabetesmonitor.com/lada.htm

Basically, my reading of the definition is anyone diagnosed with Type 1 after the age of 25 or 30. Has also been called Type 1.5.