To Pump or Not to Pump?

Gina, that's what I wanted to do so I asked my doctor and he said that they don't do that because the pump companies don't send them pump samples or anything like that anymore so they don't have the necessary supplies for that

I don't mean to contradict what DaynaNayna wrote, as I really do value all of the opinions and views expressed on this site.  However, I wanted to give my own perspective on a few of the points...

At first, when you're just starting out with the pump, you are indeed very conscious about it (and the tubing).  It seems like whatever activity you are engaging in, you are always thinking about how the pump will be affected.  After a while though, you develop little tricks to help you through.  For example, using one/some of the accessories available to help protect the pump during gym class.

As far as swimming, not that I am a real fish or anything, but one of the reasons I chose the Animas 2020 is that it is waterproof for up to 12 feet for 24 hours.  Quite honestly, I'm pretty sure my lungs would give out before my pump would!

I tend to move around quite a bit during my sleep also, mostly switching from side to side during the night.  Since I rarely sleep on my back, I clip the pump onto the back of my pyjama pants and keep the tubing tucked in.  So far, no problems during the night!

I have never heard of insulin pockets, so I can't address that issue, but I will be sure to ask my doctor about them during my next appointment (I keep a list of questions between appointments so that I don't forget anything on the day of!).

Brian, who knows?  Maybe the pump will be the right choice, maybe not, but you will never know if you don't give it a try! 

Brian-

I am also thinking about getting a pump, I go into the clinic on March 18th for the same kind of class:)

I would say "Pump." I got mine about a year after I was diagnosed and it has made life so much easier. Sure you're still giving yourself an "injection" every time you change your site, but it isn't multiple times a day and everytime you need to correct your blood sugar. It is probably the best way to manage your diabetes (aside from someone finding the cure!).

Some people don't like the idea of being "attached" to something. I know that's the reason my doctor doesn't have a pump of his own. It just depends on your lifestyle I suppose, but I'm pro-pump all the way. Good luck in your decision :)

Nads.....good points. and the thing with the insulin pockets, I'm not completely sure about them. They may not even be real things! But the doctor i was going to at the time was pretty much a quack! Every time we saw him he said we were doing everything right, yet my blood sugars were at an average of about 350 and I went into DKA 3 times while in his care!! So he could have been making something up bcz he didn't kno what it really was....who knows? I've changed doctors since then...THANK GOODNESS!!

Hi Brian,

I'm pretty new to the board but field your question from a lot of people who are considering the pump (One is my sister!).

Here are my thoughts...

The Metronic Paradigm 522 is what I and my 8yr old daughter (Anne) have...It's approximately 3in long, 2in wide and a width of 1/2 inch.  There are different lengths for the tubing. Anne using a 23" tubing. I use the 43" tubing. Here are some of the REALLY nice features of the pump we have:

1) Bolus Wizard:  You set some parameters on the pump initially such as your insulin to carb ratio. You can tell the pump to use different ratios at different times of the day. There are a few other setting too. Then, when you eat, you use the bolus wizard and tell it how many carbs he ate - the pump tells you how much insulin he should take! The pump takes into account several things to calculate the amount of insulin such as: # of carbs, amt of insulin still working from his last bolus, etc.

2) Bolus History: I've wondered after I ate a snack...Did I take my insulin yet? You can look at all the boluses in a history that the pump keeps. Very nice.

3) Freedom: Right now I suspect you are doing exactly what I did for many, many years. A regimented schedule of bfast, lunch, dinner. That's ok and I did it for years. But what if you want a snack at 3pm? It very nice to enter 20 carbs into the bolus wizard at 3pm for an apple, some crackers, etc. and be done with it!

CGM's (at least the one's I'm familiar with) require you to have a separate device from the pump and a separate site for inserting another canula to measure BG's.  I would like to use CGM at some point but would prefer a single insertion for both insulin and BG checking - It's my understanding that Metronic is working on this technology as we speak...

Brian, I hope this helps you...It looks like you have a great deal of feedback from board members to consider!

Good Luck,
john

Brian, 

I think that finding the right pump for your lifestyle is key! They all have different features that are really cool I can't wait to hear which one you pick! 

Gina

So Brian you ask the question and get many answers. Have things been settled in your mind or you still searching for the giht answer? As an FYI while there can be many right answers, just bear in mind when it comes to your decision there is no wrong decision. Hopefully, you find the answers you are looking for.

Hi there.  I have been on an insulin pump for 14 years and it's the best thing I have ever done.  I was in good control before the pump, but it is even easier with it.   My A1C's are always in the 5 range and I can eat whatever I want.  I have had two easy and healthy pregnancies and live a completely normal life.  I just keep it in my pocket or clip it on my slacks.  It may be difficult the first month or so, just to get used to it, but it is so nice to know my body is always getting insulin.  I have had type 1 for 24 years and knock on wood, no damage.  Good luck to you and please feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks everyone for yor responses!  Brian, I have most of the answers I was looking for, I wasn't looking for anything specific but more so just to see how others have coped with the pump and get "real" testimonies as opposed to the ones on the pump sites that don't give any of the negative aspects or anything.  But I'm getting a lot of good, useful info from on here and it's definitely persuading me to get a pump.  After seeing how many people really enjoy it and how much it's helping all of your lives makes me want one; before, I was considering it but was still leaning more towards just a maybe than a yes.  I haven't really looked too much into specific pumps, but my doctor wants me to look into ones with CGM.  Only problem with that is that I don't really want to be hooked up at two different sites.  Are there any pumps that have everything combined in one so you only have to have one site at a time?

Sadly not yet. The closest out there is the Minimed Paradigm, which has the integrated CGM, however you still need to deal with the sensor in one place and the infusion set in another. Animas is working with Dexcom to integrate but that has yet to happen.

Hi Brian,

Well even if people have already pretty much told you all about pumps by now, here are some things I definitely found helpful about having one:

The best part is that I can easily snack anytime I want without having to 'poke myself'. I am naturally kind of a "grazer" and I like to snack a lot. Back when I didn't have a pump, I felt like I had to have routine meals. I couldn't just grab a few berries without having to do an injection. But with the pump, I can snack on things all the time and only have to press a few buttons.

With the pump, you don't have to do night time Lantus shots. An obvious advantage.

It actually didn't take me very long to get used to my pump. For the first couple weeks, I was worried that the tubing would accidentally get tangled while I rolled around in my sleep and it wouldn't deliver insulin. The fear went away when I learned how to tuck the tubing safely inside my pajama pants. It never did tangle. One thing I don't like about the pump though, is that it really does feel kind of "out there" for the world to see. But you do get used to it eventually.

For girls, pumps are hard to wear dresses with. But you don't have to worry about that. ^^.  They can sometimes be difficult with robes too.

One of the main downsides of pumps for me: As you may know, insulin can go bad in too much heat. With insulin pens, you don't have to worry about that because you can refrigerate them inbetween injections. And you can transport them in containers with ice packs to keep them cool. However, since pumps need to constantly stay attatched to you, the insulin can go bad in overly hot weather conditions. You can find ways around that though.

I have a black Medtronic paradigm pump. For the most part, it has served me well. It's a fairly small size and has some nice functions. Although, it has had a few problems that made me regret getting a Medtronic pump. For those reasons, I probably wouldn't recommend it too highly. Oh well. If you have any questions or want more detail, reply or contact me. It's past 1:30 a.m. for me right now, so I better get some shut-eye. ^^ Good luck with your future pump!

~Kelley~

Kelley, I'm just wondering how you deal with the heat exposure when it comes to the insulin in your pump?  I live in Canada, so really hot temperatures are rare enough that I don't think it will be a huge problem for me this coming summer.  However, my husband and I are thinking about a trip to Mexico this year or next, so your advice could be helpful!  Thanks!

Nads,

Well I don't have many solutions as of yet, but my mom went on Amazon.com and found a cooling pack made for pumps which is reusable and works just by getting it wet. Maybe you could search there. You could also get those on diabetic supplies websites. Hope this helps!

~Kelley~

Hey Kelley!! the solution to the dress thing-- hook it in ur bra!! lol. I kno it sounds weird, but it works, and no one can even tell that its there! thats wat I always did when I had to wear dresses! :P

lol thanx! Well...the noticability of a pump hooked to your bra might depend on what kind of dress you're wearing. Perhaps?